Calculate Energy Change for CaF2 Formation from Elements | 4290 kJ/mol

In summary, by manipulating the equations given, we can calculate the energy change for the formation of CaF2 (s) from its elements in their standard states. By multiplying the first equation by 2, we get F2 (g) -> 2 F (g) = 158 kJ/mol. Then, by multiplying the next equation by 2, we get 2 F(g) + 2e- -> 2 F- (ion) (g) = -656 kJ/mol. Finally, adding all the equations together, we get an energy change of -1210 kJ/mol, indicating an exothermic reaction.
kuahji
Calculate the energy change for the formation of CaF2 (s) from its elements in their standard states and the following information:

Ca (s) + F2 (g) -> CaF2 ?
Ca (s) -> Ca (g) = 179.3 kJ/mol
Ca (g) -> Ca+ (ion) (g) + e- = 589.9 kJ/mol
Ca+ (ion) (g) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) +e- = 1145 kJ/mol
1/2 F2 (g) -> F(g) = 79.0 kJ/mol
F(g) + e- -> F- (ion) (g) = -328.0 kJ/mol
CaF2 (s) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) + 2 F- (ion) (g) = 2630 kJ/mol

Basically, what I did was add each one up in the order listed & I got 4290 kJ/mol. However, this doesn't seem to make any sense, because I want a negative kJ/mol, or at least according to the problems in the book (my first time dealing with these problems). Any ideas what is going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
What form of an energy equation is one using? Is one getting the correct magnitude for the energy change?

Last edited:
kuahji said:
Calculate the energy change for the formation of CaF2 (s) from its elements in their standard states and the following information:

Ca (s) + F2 (g) -> CaF2 ?
Ca (s) -> Ca (g) = 179.3 kJ/mol
Ca (g) -> Ca+ (ion) (g) + e- = 589.9 kJ/mol
Ca+ (ion) (g) -> Ca2+ (ion) (g) +e- = 1145 kJ/mol

Basically, what I did was add each one up in the order listed

Think about your target equation: Ca(s) + F2(g) --> CaF2

If you add up all the equations, they will not give you the above.

you need to manipulate these 3 equations so that you get F2 (not 1/2F2)
and also that CaF2 is on the right hand side (what happens to the 2630 if you reverse the equation?) ...neg kJ/mol you are looking for

:) yes, I just came on to check the thread. What switched the last equation around to get -2630 kJ/mol, then I was thinking if I multiplied the first equation by 2, I'd get F2 (g) -> 2 F (g) = 158 kJ/mol. Then I'd have to multiply the next equation by 2 to get 2 F(g) + 2e- -> 2F- (ion) (g) = -656 kJ/mol. The add them all up to get -1210 kJ/mol. Or so I think ^_^.

good thinking :cool:

1. What is energy change formation?

Energy change formation refers to the amount of energy that is released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical change. It is a measure of the difference between the energy of the products and the energy of the reactants.

2. How is energy change formation calculated?

The energy change formation is calculated by taking the difference between the energy of the products and the energy of the reactants, and adjusting for the number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction.

3. What is the significance of energy change formation?

Energy change formation is significant because it provides information about the stability of a substance. A negative energy change formation indicates that the products are more stable than the reactants, while a positive energy change formation indicates the opposite.

4. How does energy change formation relate to enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy in a system, which includes the energy change formation. The enthalpy change of a reaction is equal to the sum of the energy change formation for all the products minus the sum of the energy change formation for all the reactants.

5. What factors can affect energy change formation?

The energy change formation can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Catalysts can also affect the energy change formation by lowering the activation energy of a reaction.