Solve Selective Reduction of Sn4+ to Sn2+ w/o Sn2+ to Sn

• Thread starter higherme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, for a galvanic cell under standard conditions, the only cathodic half reaction that would produce a spontaneous oxidation of Sn to Sn2+ but not Sn2+ to Sn4+ is Pb2+ + 2e- Pb. All other options have a negative Ecell, indicating a non-spontaneous reaction. The Ecell for Sn2+ + 2e- Sn is equal to 0, indicating an equilibrium state.
higherme

Homework Statement

Given: Sn4+ + 2e- --->Sn2+ Estandard=+0.15V
For a galvanic cell under standard condition, which of the following anodic half reaction would produce at the cathode a spontaneous reduction of Sn4+ to Sn2+ but NOT Sn2+ to Sn.

Pb --> Pb2+ + 2e-
Sn2+ --> Sn4+ + 2e-
Pb + SO42- --> PbSO4 + 2e-
Sn --> Sn2+ + 2e-
Fe --> Fe3+ + 3e-
Ni --> Ni2+ + 2e-

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the oxidation potential for all of the above reactions:

+0.126
+0.355
+0.141
+0.036
+0.236, respectively

For a spontaneous reaction, the Ecell has to be positive. I calculated the Ecell for each of those reactions with Sn4+ + 2e- --->Sn2+ Estandard=+0.15V and with Sn2+ + 2e---->Sn

I found that Pb --> Pb2+ + 2e-, Sn2+ --> Sn4+ + 2e-, and Fe --> Fe3+ + 3e- are the only three that produce a Ecell that is positive for Sn4+ to Sn2+ and NOT Sn2+ to Sn

but for Sn --> Sn2+ + 2e- reacting with Sn2+ + 2e---->Sn, the Ecell is obviously equation to zero, would that considered to be spontaneous??

can someone check if I am doing this right?

Thanks a lot =)

Physics news on Phys.org
am I on the right track here?

do u go to the UoW? :)

what is "UoW"?

lol i guess not

by the way in ur questions do u have one like this..

Selective Oxidation (not reduction)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The standard reduction potential for the half-reaction

Sn4+ + 2e- Sn2+
is +0.15 V.
Consider data from the table of standard reduction potentials for common half-reactions, in your text.

For a galvanic cell under standard conditions, which of the following cathodic half reactions would produce, at the anode, a spontaneous oxidation of Sn to Sn2+ but not Sn2+ to Sn4+.

Sn2+ + 2e- Sn
Pb2+ + 2e- Pb
2H2O + 2e- H2 + 2OH-
PbSO4 + 2e- Pb + SO42-
Fe2+ + 2e- Fe
Fe3+ + 3e- Fe

yeah, something similar to that.

can someone please check what I'm doing wrong here... I'm still not getting the correct answer =(

if the Ecell = 0 (in equilibrium) is that still considered to be spontaneous?

1. What is Selective Reduction?

Selective reduction is a chemical reaction in which one specific type of chemical bond or functional group is reduced while leaving other bonds or groups intact. In the case of Sn4+ to Sn2+ reduction, only the Sn4+ ions are reduced to Sn2+ while other ions in the solution remain unchanged.

2. Why is Selective Reduction of Sn4+ to Sn2+ important?

This type of reduction is important in various industries, especially in the production of electronic devices. Sn4+ is commonly used as a dopant in semiconductors, and its selective reduction to Sn2+ is crucial to maintain the desired properties and conductivity of the material.

3. How can Sn4+ be selectively reduced to Sn2+ without reducing Sn2+ to Sn?

This can be achieved by using a reducing agent that selectively reacts with Sn4+ ions, such as ascorbic acid or sodium sulfite. These reducing agents do not react with Sn2+ ions, allowing for the selective reduction of Sn4+ to Sn2+ without affecting the existing Sn2+ ions in the solution.

4. Is the Selective Reduction of Sn4+ to Sn2+ a reversible reaction?

No, the selective reduction of Sn4+ to Sn2+ is an irreversible reaction. This means that once the reduction has occurred, the Sn2+ ions cannot be converted back to Sn4+ ions under normal conditions.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with Selective Reduction of Sn4+ to Sn2+?

Yes, caution should be taken when handling and working with the reducing agents used in this type of reaction. These agents can be harmful if ingested or inhaled, and proper protective equipment should be worn to avoid direct contact with the skin or eyes. It is also important to properly dispose of any waste products from the reaction.