Understanding the Gradient and Divergence of Cartesian Tensors

• Thread starter esorolla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with understanding the general definition of the nabla operator for solving a problem related to dyadic analysis. They are specifically trying to prove that \nabla^{2}F = \nabla \nabla \bullet F for a symmetric dyadic function F. They are unsure of how to calculate the gradient of a dyadic and are looking for a relationship between the gradient and divergence of a (n+1,0) tensor. They have encountered some difficulties with reversing the order of operators and are seeking assistance.
esorolla
Hello:

I have a doubt because I don't find the general definition of the nabla operator in order to solve my matter.

I am working with dyadic analysis and I have to prove that

[tex]\nabla^{2}F = \nabla \nabla \bullet F[/tex]

where F is a symmetric dyadic function.

My problem is when I have to get [tex]\nabla^{2}F[/tex]

because I don't know how to calculate the gradient of a dyadic. I know the definition of the gradient of a vector what results in a dyadic, but no idea about the general definition of the gradient in cartesian coordinates for whatever order of cartesian tensors.

I 'd be very thankful for a little of help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as i know, the gradient of a (n,0) tensor is a (n+1,0) tensor. Let's say you have a (3,0) tensor T

[tex] T=T_{ijk}e_{i}\otimes e_{j}\otimes e_{k} [/tex] (cartesian tensor and coordinates)

Then

[tex] \nabla T= \partial_{l}T_{ijk} e_{l}\otimes e_{i}\otimes_{j}\otimes e_{k} [/tex]

is the gradient of the tensor T.

Ok

I only need to relate the gradient of a (n+1,0) tensor with its divergence now. Because I have to get the divergence of the gradient of a (2,0) tensor, and comparate with the gradient of the divergence of the same one.

I had no too problems with the gradient of the divergence, but when I put in reverse order the operators I had some troubles because I didn't get the same result and I have to prove it's the same.

I'll put my results in a few minutes, I have to leave now.

Thank you

1. What is tensorial calculus?

Tensorial calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects used to represent and manipulate multidimensional data. It combines principles from linear algebra, vector calculus, and differential geometry to analyze and solve problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What are the applications of tensorial calculus?

Tensorial calculus has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used to model and analyze physical systems with multiple dimensions, such as fluid dynamics, elasticity, and electromagnetism. In computer science, tensors are used in machine learning algorithms for data analysis and pattern recognition. In economics, tensor analysis is used to model and analyze complex economic systems.

3. What are the main concepts in tensorial calculus?

The main concepts in tensorial calculus include tensors, covariant and contravariant components, tensor fields, tensor derivatives, and tensor operations. Tensors are represented by arrays of numbers that transform in a specific way under coordinate transformations. Covariant and contravariant components refer to the different ways tensors can be represented depending on the coordinate system. Tensor fields are functions that assign a tensor to each point in a space. Tensor derivatives and operations are used to manipulate and solve problems involving tensors.

4. How is tensorial calculus used in physics?

Tensorial calculus is widely used in physics to describe and analyze physical systems with multiple dimensions. It is used to model and solve problems in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, relativity, and quantum mechanics. In these fields, tensors are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, electric and magnetic fields, and the stress-energy tensor. Tensorial calculus also plays a crucial role in the development of theories and equations that describe the behavior of these physical systems.

5. Is tensorial calculus difficult to learn?

Tensorial calculus can be challenging to learn due to its abstract and mathematical nature. It requires a solid understanding of linear algebra, vector calculus, and differential geometry. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can grasp the fundamental concepts and principles of tensorial calculus. It is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to practice solving problems to become proficient in this subject.