Thermodynamics - engine efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a reversible engine and its efficiency in a cycle. The solution involves finding the net work and heat added during the cycle, and using the equation e=W/Qh to determine efficiency. The correct efficiency is found to be 24.3%. The conversation also mentions a discussion board on blackboard and suggests using this platform for better collaboration.
portofino

Homework Statement

A reversible engine contains 0.20 mol of ideal monatomic gas, initially at 600 K and confined to 2.0 L. The gas undergoes the following cycle:

Isothermal expansion to 4.0 L.
Isovolumic cooling to 300 K.
Isothermal compression to 2.0 L.
Isovolumic heating to 600 K.

Determine the engine's efficiency, defined as the ratio of the work done to only the heat absorbed during the cycle.

Homework Equations

efficiency, e = W/Q_h = (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h = 1 - (Q_c/Q_h) where W is work, Q_h is heat energy (high), and Q_c is cool heat energy (low)

The Attempt at a Solution

in the problem leading to the question, i was asked to determine net work and net heat added during the cycle, there values are as follows:

net heat added during cycle: Q = 350 Joules

net work done during cycle: W = 350 Joules

now when i try and determine the efficiency i did this:

e = W/Q_h = (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h = 1 - (Q_c/Q_h)

e = 350/600 = (600 - 300)/600 = 1 - (300/600), i used the 350/600 = 57.6% because the problem asked for the ratio of work and heat energy

i realized that 350/600 is not equivalent to the other ratios. since (600 - 300)/600 = 50% = 1 - (300/600) =/= 57.6%

which ratio am i supposed to use, the W/Q_h = 350/600 = 57.6% is incorrect? are my values correct for each variable?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{Q_h - Q_c}{Q_h}[/tex] is the maximum efficiency possible. The engine cycle you are using is not a Carnot cycle, so its efficiency will be lower than the maximum possible efficiency.

the question wants me to use a ratio of work and heat energy though, why should i use (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h? so should i be getting 50% then is use the efficiency equation you suggest?

using (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h = (600 - 300)/600 = 50% was not correct? what am i doing wrong?

the equation for efficiency is e=W/Qh
where W is the net work you found, and Qh is the sum of the heat added (only add the positive Q values you found for the process - which should be two values)
*just wondering do you go to umbc?

nah i go to old dominion, i already tried W/Q_h where W = 350 joules, my original Q_h was wrong i used temp not Q, as for Net = 691.5-748.3+748.3-345.8 = 345.8, so should e = 350/345.8 = 101.2 % or 350/350 = 100%? or should it be Q_h = 691.5 + 748.3 = 1439.8 so e = 350/1439.8 = 24.3%?

right, you just use the positive Q values, so that last part is right, i got 24.3% and it showed up as right on MP.
hmm, its weird tho, because i saw some of your other posts, and u have a lot of the exact same homework problems as i do - including engineering, lol.

oh i should've been more specific, i do know people who go to umbc, i am actually posting on behalf of one my old school mates who goes to umbc, he works nights and can't get stuff done

btw 24.3 worked

whoah, scryplr, i go to umbc too! had one look at the blackboard discussion board and realized how crap it was, i came here cos this place works

you should post there and get more people to join here, everyone could collab so much better

do you know how do to 19.54?

Last edited:

1. What is engine efficiency?

Engine efficiency is a measure of how well an engine converts the energy from its fuel into useful work. It is typically expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more efficient engine.

2. How is engine efficiency calculated?

Engine efficiency is calculated by dividing the useful work output by the energy input. This can be represented by the equation η = W/Q, where η is the efficiency, W is the work output, and Q is the energy input.

3. What factors affect engine efficiency?

Several factors can affect engine efficiency, including the type of fuel used, the design and size of the engine, the temperature and pressure of the working fluid, and the amount of friction and heat loss within the engine.

4. Can engine efficiency be improved?

Yes, engine efficiency can be improved through various methods such as using more efficient fuels, optimizing engine design, and implementing technologies such as turbochargers and hybrid systems.

5. Why is engine efficiency important?

Engine efficiency is important because it directly affects the performance and fuel consumption of vehicles and machines that rely on engines. Improving engine efficiency can lead to cost savings, reduced emissions, and increased sustainability.