Why does the universe has such a huge amount of Energy?

In summary, there is no particular reason for the universe to have a specific amount of energy, just as there is no reason for there to be a certain number of blades of grass in a field. The universe contains the amount of energy it is supposed to have and it cannot be compared to a specific number. The energy in the universe is constantly recycled and remains constant. There is a hypothesis that suggests there may be multiple universes with different masses, but we can only observe the one we are in. It has been noted that even slight changes in physical constants could result in a completely different universe. There is also a controversial study that suggests the presence of extra-universal matter, possibly indicating the existence of a larger multiverse beyond our own universe
Veovis
Y accept the existence of the universe and the existence of effective energy within it, but, is there a reason because of the incalculable (hope the word exists) amount of that energy? I know that this question is more philosophical than physical... but maybe someone can give some sort of answer...

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I was going to move this to an approriate forum, but I don't understand your question.

Then erase it, maybe a stupid question, but I thought some could tell something about big-bang.
Why does exists millions of millions of millions of stars intead of just 1?
Maybe is definately a stupid question, like Why is the universe so powerfull?... and,

Does the universe have a finite energy?

That is the most clear version of my question.

Well think about it as "normalization". Our universe has as much energy as a universe is supposed to have. There is nothing to compare it to. Its like asking why there are so many blades of grass in a field. Its a huge number, but you really can't judge. You cannot compare a number to "1" and say whether it is large or not. Is 2 a large number of eyes? Is 6 billion a large number of people? etc.

Just because a number is "astronomical" does not mean it is extraordinary. The universe right now has exactly the amount of stars it COULD have had. No more, no less.

Veovis said:
Then erase it, maybe a stupid question, but I thought some could tell something about big-bang.

No problem. I just didn't quite understand what you meant.

You're right, but in all Earth we can assume that the number of grass blades is finite... can we assume the same for the energy of the universe?

Energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another, or passed from one body to another, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

So, even a little energy is infinite.

It does seem like an interesting question in that I'd be interested in hearing speculation on what the result of the universe having more or less energy would be. It would effect cosmic inflation behavior at least, right?

Veovis said:
You're right, but in all Earth we can assume that the number of grass blades is finite... can we assume the same for the energy of the universe?

To the best of our knowledge, yes.

Why the universe contains this particular mass is a very good question.
There is no reason (that we know about) that the initial singularity couldn't create a universe of any mass.

It could simply be that there are (were/is/will-be - English cases don't really cope with multiple universes) many universes of different masses, life can only exist if they have a certain size and so we observe only the universe that we could observe.

There is one hypothesis floating around that has universes constantly bubbling up in a process of infinite creation, but only those universes having critically valued physical constants, such as the total energy of the universe, can exist.

It has often been noted that were the physical constants slighty different than what we find, the universe as we know it could not exist.

Last edited:
On a related note, this was in the news today, but I don"t see a formal publication listed yet, so even the modeling of the hard data, not to mention grand interpretations of that data, have to be taken with a grain of salt for now.

Something may be out there. Way out there.

On the outskirts of creation, unknown, unseen "structures" are tugging on our universe like cosmic magnets, a controversial new study says.

The presence of the extra-universal matter suggests that our universe is part of something bigger—a multiverse—and that whatever is out there is very different from the universe we know, according to study leader Alexander Kashlinsky, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/11/081105-dark-flow.html

Pish! Dark flows are so September 2008.

I'm not surprised. I have been completely preoccupied with the election.

1. Why does the universe have such a huge amount of Energy?

The universe has a huge amount of energy because of the Big Bang, which is the event that is believed to have created the universe. This massive explosion released a tremendous amount of energy, which has been expanding and evolving over billions of years, resulting in the universe we see today.

2. Where does the energy in the universe come from?

The energy in the universe comes from various sources, including the Big Bang, nuclear fusion in stars, and other high-energy events such as supernovae and black holes. The energy in the universe is constantly being transformed and transferred between different forms and objects.

3. What is dark energy and how does it contribute to the universe's energy?

Dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 68% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. While its exact nature is still unknown, dark energy is thought to play a crucial role in the overall energy balance of the universe.

4. How is the energy in the universe distributed?

The energy in the universe is distributed in various forms, including light, heat, and gravitational energy. It is also distributed among different objects, such as stars, galaxies, and even empty space. The distribution of energy in the universe is constantly changing as the universe evolves and expands.

5. Can we ever run out of energy in the universe?

Based on our current understanding, it is unlikely that we will ever run out of energy in the universe. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into different forms. As long as the universe continues to exist, energy will always be present in one form or another.