Idempotent Matrix homework help

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of idempotent matrices and proves several statements related to them. It is stated that a matrix A is idempotent if A²=A. The statements that are proved are: a) If A is idempotent, then I-A is also idempotent. b) If A is idempotent and invertible, then A=I. c) If A is idempotent, then I-2A is invertible. The inverse of I-2A is found to be (I-2A)^-1 = I + A. d) An example of a 2x2 idempotent matrix A is provided.
JosephR

Homework Statement

A martix A is said to idempotent if A²=A prove the following:

a) If A is idempotent then I-A is also idempotent
b) If A is idempotent and invertible then A=I
c) If A is idempotent then I-2A is invertible.Find (I-2A)-1 in terms of A
d)Give an example of a 2x2 idempotent matrix A such that A is not the zero or the identity matrix

2. The attempt at a solution

a) A²=A then,(I-A)(I-A)=I-A ( prove it)
= I²-2A+A² and since A²=A then I-A=I-A
b) A²=A
A.A=A ~~> A-1.A.A=A-1.A ~>IA=I ~>A=I
c) I'm Stuck

d) i knew this part :P

so please any help on part c) i have an exam tomorow :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
c) Just to see what happens, I multiplied I - 2A by itself, and got (I - 2A)(I - 2A) = I
d) Here's an idempotent 2 x 2 matrix:
[tex]
\left[
\begin{array} {c c}
1 & 1 \\
0 & 0
\end{array} \right]
[/tex]

THANK YOU DUDE ! u really helped me :)

What is an idempotent matrix?

An idempotent matrix is a square matrix that, when multiplied by itself, results in the same matrix. In other words, the matrix remains unchanged after the multiplication operation.

What are the properties of an idempotent matrix?

Some properties of an idempotent matrix include: it has at least one eigenvalue of either 0 or 1, its determinant is either 0 or 1, and it is a symmetric matrix.

How do you determine if a matrix is idempotent?

A matrix is idempotent if it satisfies the following equation: A^2 = A, where A is the matrix in question. This means that multiplying the matrix by itself should result in the same matrix.

What is the significance of idempotent matrices?

Idempotent matrices have several applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and engineering. They can be used to solve systems of linear equations, simplify calculations, and model certain systems.

Can a non-square matrix be idempotent?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be idempotent. Idempotent matrices are defined as square matrices because they require the number of rows and columns to be equal for the multiplication operation to be possible.