Vector Rotation: How to Rotate a Vector by 90 Degrees using a Rotation Matrix

In summary, the conversation was about rotating a vector by 90 degrees using a rotation matrix. The person initially got a clockwise rotation instead of a counterclockwise one and asked for help. The other person gave a hint to try multiplying by -1 and explained that the drawn vector was not the same as the calculated one using the transformation matrix. The first person thanked them for the clarification.
_Andreas

Homework Statement

Rotate a vector v=x_1e_1+x_2e_2 90 degrees by using the rotation matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see in the attached image, I get a 90 degree clockwise rotation. I'm supposed to get a 90 degree counterclockwise rotation. Where do I go wrong?

Attachments

• Rotationsmatris.jpg
    Rotationsmatris.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi _Andreas! :smile:
_Andreas said:
Rotate a vector v=x_1e_1+x_2e_2 90 degrees by using the rotation matrix.

As you can see in the attached image, I get a 90 degree clockwise rotation. I'm supposed to get a 90 degree counterclockwise rotation. Where do I go wrong?

erm … not enough sleep? :redface:

Hint: try multiplying by -1 :smile:

What you've drawn for your rotated vector is [itex]x_1 \hat{e_1} - x_2 \hat{e_2}[/itex]; which is not the same as what you calculated using the transformation matrix: [tex]\vec{y}=\begin{pmatrix} -x_2 \\ x_1 \end{pmatrix}=-x_2 \hat{e_1} + x_1 \hat{e_2}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
What you've drawn for your rotated vector is [itex]x_1 \hat{e_1} - x_2 \hat{e_2}[/itex]; which is not the same as what you calculated using the transformation matrix: [tex]\vec{y}=\begin{pmatrix} -x_2 \\ x_1 \end{pmatrix}=-x_2 \hat{e_1} + x_1 \hat{e_2}[/tex]

Thanks! I did suspect that this was the case, but I wasn't sure.

1. What is a vector rotation?

A vector rotation is the process of changing the direction of a vector in a two- or three-dimensional space. It involves rotating the vector by a certain angle around a fixed point.

2. Why would I need to rotate a vector by 90 degrees?

Rotating a vector by 90 degrees is a common operation in computer graphics and engineering applications. It can be used to change the orientation of an object, calculate the normal vector to a surface, or perform transformations in a coordinate system.

3. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical tool used to perform a rotation in a coordinate system. It is a square matrix that contains the cosine and sine values of the rotation angle, and when multiplied by a vector, it rotates the vector by that angle.

4. How do I rotate a vector by 90 degrees using a rotation matrix?

To rotate a vector by 90 degrees using a rotation matrix, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a 2x2 rotation matrix with the cosine and sine values of 90 degrees (π/2).

2. Multiply the rotation matrix by the vector to be rotated, using matrix multiplication.

3. The resulting vector will be the rotated vector.

5. Can I rotate a vector by any angle using a rotation matrix?

Yes, a rotation matrix can be used to rotate a vector by any angle. The angle used in the matrix will determine the amount of rotation applied to the vector. For example, a rotation matrix with the cosine and sine values of 45 degrees (π/4) will rotate the vector by 45 degrees.