What is meant by thermal average ?

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying equation 2.14 in Yeomans' Statistical Mechanics of Phase Transitions, which involves finding the thermal average of M (magnetization). The main problem is not knowing the precise definition of a thermal average. The attempt at a solution involves using Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics and plugging in the relevant equations, but the speaker is stuck on how to get a second derivative. A helpful source for the definition of thermal average is provided.
Pacopag
What is meant by "thermal average"?

Homework Statement

I'm reading through Yeomans, Stat. Mech. of Phase transitions. I'm trying to verify equation 2.14
[tex]<M^2>-<M>^2 = k^2 T^2 {\partial^2 \over \partial H^2} \ln Z[/tex],
where k is Boltzman constant, T is temperature, M is magnetization, H is magnetic field, and Z is partition function
I think that my main problem is that I don't know the precise definition of a thermal average (i.e. <...>). At least then I could start.

Homework Equations

[tex]M = - \left({\partial F \over \partial H} \right)_T[/tex]
[tex]F = -kT\ln T[/tex]
[tex]Z = \sum_r e^{-\beta E_r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Of course, I've gone so far as to plug everything in
[tex]<M^2>-<M>^2 = <k^2T^2\left({\partial \over \partial H}\ln Z \right)^2>-<-kT{\partial \over \partial H}\ln Z>^2[/tex]

Then, I assume Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics, which I think means that
[tex]<x> = \sum_m x {e^{-\beta E_m}\over Z}[/tex]
which leads to
[tex]<M^2>-<M>^2=\sum_m k^2T^2\left({\partial \over \partial H}\ln Z \right)^2 {e^{-\beta E_m}\over Z} - \sum_m \sum_n k^2 T^2 \left({\partial \over \partial H}\ln Z \right)^2 {e^{-\beta E_m}\over Z}{e^{-\beta E_n}\over Z}[/tex]

This is where I'm stuck. I don't see how I'm going to get a second derivative from this. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is meant by thermal average?

Thermal average refers to the average value of a physical quantity in a system that is in thermal equilibrium. This means that the system has reached a state of balance where the energy is evenly distributed among all its particles.

How is thermal average calculated?

Thermal average is calculated by taking the sum of all the values of a physical quantity at different energy levels, weighted by their respective probabilities of occupation. The probabilities are determined by the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the energy and temperature of the system.

Why is thermal average important in statistical mechanics?

Thermal average plays a crucial role in statistical mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system based on its energy distribution. It also helps us understand the relationship between macroscopic properties and microscopic interactions in a system.

What is the difference between thermal average and ensemble average?

Thermal average is calculated based on the energy distribution of a single system in thermal equilibrium, while ensemble average is calculated based on the average of multiple systems with the same macroscopic properties. In other words, thermal average is a property of a single system, while ensemble average is a property of a collection of systems.

How does thermal average relate to temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. Therefore, as the thermal average increases, the temperature of the system also increases. Conversely, a decrease in thermal average results in a decrease in temperature.