Understanding the Relationship Between Electromagnetic Fields and Waves

In summary: When two coils are placed at right angles to each other, they form a resonant circuit. When this happens, energy is transferred from one coil to the other at a specific frequency. If the frequency of the current is the same as the resonant frequency, the waves will bounce back and forth between the coils infinitely.If the current in the first coil is different from the current in the second coil, then the waves will be reflected back and forth between the coils a finite number of times. If the current in the first coil is higher than the current in the second coil, then the waves will be reflected back and forth more than once. If the current in the first coil is lower than the current in the second coil, then the waves will
Paper
Hello,
I'm confused about the whole electromagnet thing. So far I've got these concepts:
- Passing a current through a wire results in a magnetic field 90 degress to the direction of flow

- If the current is AC, the magnetic field is continuously alternating

- This magnetic field is considered to be a near field and can be used to perform inductive coupling

- In addition, this AC current causes the wire to radiate electromagnetic waves (radio frequency light). This is part of the far field

- If we alternate at the natural resonance frequency of a wire or coil, we set up standing waves in the transmitter

- And so the receiver needs only to be designed with the same resonance frequency, and an incoming electromagnetic wave of the correct frequency will cause resonance and standing waves in the receiver

Now my questions are:
* Is that all correct?
* What is the difference between a near field magnetic field and far field electromagnetic waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you pretty much have it, in general.

The near field is close to the radiator such that the effect of an individual pole is strong, and this field falls off with the radius squared. The far field is some distance from the radiator such that the effects of opposite poles begin to cancel and the net field falls with the cube of the radius. There is no single, well-defined distance at which the near field gives way to the far field; it's a continuum.

I think it's clicked. Forget the labels near field and far field, I'm getting them mixed I think.

Inductive Coupling depends on the magnetic field shifting electrons in the secondary coil.

I guess that receiving radio waves is a completely separate thing? What is the name for the effect in which a wave causes an alternating current in a wire? The Maxwell Effect? Or perhaps the Tesla Effect?

For a dc current in the wire, tere is a small electric field along the wire due to the resistance in the wire. If there is no resistance, there is no voltage drop in the wire and no electric field. The magnetic field from the current surrounds the wire (in circles). It is only azimuthal (no radial component). If you have an ac current, you will have an ac magnetic field. If the ac frequency is many megahertz, the wire will start radiating energy, like a transmitter antenna.

1. What are electromagnetic fields and waves?

Electromagnetic fields and waves are a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. They consist of both electric and magnetic components and travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How are electromagnetic fields and waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic fields and waves have a wide range of uses in everyday life, including in telecommunications, radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and medical imaging. They are also used in household appliances such as microwaves, refrigerators, and smartphones.

3. What is the difference between electromagnetic fields and electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic fields refer to the physical force created by the movement of electrically charged particles. Electromagnetic waves, on the other hand, are the result of these fields oscillating and propagating through space. In other words, fields are the cause and waves are the effect.

4. Are electromagnetic fields and waves harmful to human health?

There is ongoing research on the potential effects of exposure to electromagnetic fields and waves on human health. While some studies have suggested a possible link between high levels of exposure and health issues, the overall consensus is that the levels of fields and waves present in our daily lives are not harmful.

5. How do electromagnetic fields and waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic fields and waves can interact with matter in a variety of ways. They can be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted depending on the properties of the material they encounter. This is the basis for technologies such as radar, which uses the reflection of electromagnetic waves to detect objects.