Electromagnetic Lasers: A Physics/Engineering Project

In summary, my roommate and I are working on a backyard physics/engineering project, with the intent to hopefully scale it up to massive proportions. One of the issues we recently came across, though, was the matter of focusing our electromagnets for both efficiency and to keep from effecting anything else. We realized that we could improve our project by using a static magnetic field to lift the platform, instead of relying on electromagnets to push the device. The mu-metals that we are using to shield the static field are effective, but not cheap. We are also considering using a transformer to create a static field. Our project has the potential to be used in a variety of large scale applications, such as a space elevator.
Moebius_Prime
My roommate and I are working on a backyard physics/engineering project, with the intent to hopefully scale it up to massive proportions. One of the issues we recently came across, though, was the matter of focusing our electromagnets for both efficiency and to keep from effecting anything else.

I realize that magnetic fields roughly resemble a torus, and thus are inherently radial in their growth, but if we could figure out something to do to hieghten it and keep it from getting proportionally wider, it would solve one of our large problems.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You incorrectly assume that we know what you are talking about. Please restate your question with some indication of what you are trying to do.

If I understand this right...

You can only 'focus' radio signals with aerial arrays or parabolic dishes and the more 'focusing' (gain) you want the bigger those have to be.

You can't invent you way out of that. You can't make a small parabola work like a large one. Why do you think they need to construct massive dishes for radio-astronomy?

I would suggest you are wasting your time.

We're trying to create what amounts to an electromagnetic jack, having a series of rotating, electromagnets in a bowl shape, with some sort of potentometer or rheostat to control ascent, and a semisphereical piece of ceramic with an inch-thick aluminium plate over the flat part and neodynium magnets across the curve on the bottom.

Our mock-ups work fine, but as we increase the power to the electromagnets to get the platform higher, the field gets bigger and problems begin arising (a dead digital watch stands as our only victim thusfar).

As far as I know, electromagnetic fields can be modeled in a series of torus with the inner edge remaining constant at the source of the field, and the central point of the rotated circle moving outward to represent the distinctly weakening layers of the field.

I want to find a way to generate an electromagnetic field where instead of the field layers resembling torus (circles rotated on an off-axis), they resemble (non-circular) ellipses rotated on an off-axis, in such a way that the foci and focal distance can be changed.

In short: I want to create an electromagnet that can deliver more push at a further range, without the field growing larger at the sides. I don't mind that the back end pulls at the greater range, as we can get around that.

Last edited:
Moebius_Prime said:
In short: I want to create an electromagnet that can deliver more push at a further range, without the field growing larger at the sides. I don't mind that the back end pulls at the greater range, as we can get around that.

Interesting concept, Moe. Not exactly sure I can see the full nature of your device; I assume you are using static magnetic fields as a lifter. One of the best ways to shield the static magnetic field is to try to put mu metals around the edge of the device (to try to limit the lateral expansion)...and then ramp up the interior.

Mu metals are an effective way to shield high B fields...NASA does it all the time :biggrin: Not exactly cheap, but it works.

See here: http://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html

and for some background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal

Creator

Last edited:
The mu-metals look quite nice, and a more than adequate solution to our problem (and a few others we were having) for the time being. I don't know what kind of current we'll use down the road, but since we do have a DC set up going right now (a transformer charging into a bank of pretty hefty capacitors and a varistor as the valve out to the 28 electromagnets) I'm pretty sure we have a static field.

I'm an engineering student, and my roommate is a physics major, so I'm not quite as well versed in electrostatics and magnetism as he is, but I do try.

As to the nature of the project, could you think of any interesting large scale applications for an electromagnetic "lift" that could steadily push something up to ~80mi? :) We both got a little tired of NASA's space elevator idea using a carbon-fibre ribbon, and came up with this.

1. What are electromagnetic lasers?

Electromagnetic lasers, also known as masers, are devices that produce coherent and amplified electromagnetic radiation in the microwave and radio frequency regions. They are similar to traditional lasers, but operate at longer wavelengths.

2. How do electromagnetic lasers work?

Electromagnetic lasers use a process called stimulated emission to produce a beam of coherent microwave or radio frequency radiation. In this process, electrons in a material are excited and emit photons, which then stimulate other excited electrons to emit more photons, resulting in a concentrated beam of radiation.

3. What are the applications of electromagnetic lasers?

Electromagnetic lasers have a variety of applications in both physics and engineering fields. They can be used in telecommunications, radar systems, and as amplifiers in research experiments. They also have potential applications in medical imaging and materials processing.

4. How are electromagnetic lasers different from traditional lasers?

The main difference between electromagnetic lasers and traditional lasers is the wavelengths of radiation they produce. Traditional lasers operate in the visible or infrared regions, while electromagnetic lasers operate in the microwave and radio frequency regions. Additionally, traditional lasers use optical amplifiers, while electromagnetic lasers use microwave or radio frequency amplifiers.

5. What are some challenges in building an electromagnetic laser?

One of the main challenges in building an electromagnetic laser is finding suitable materials that can sustain stimulated emission in the microwave or radio frequency regions. Another challenge is designing and constructing the necessary amplifiers and resonators to produce a coherent and concentrated beam of radiation. Additionally, controlling and stabilizing the output of the laser can also be a challenge.