New Telescope Buyer Seeking Expert Advice

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the telescope has a focal length of 21 mm, and a possible magnification of 120x with the included 9 mm eyepiece. The scope also comes with a 20 mm eye relief eyepiece and a 68o field of view.
Stratosphere
I have never owned a telescope before (only 20x80 binoculars) and I am looking to buy one now. I have 600 dollars to spend so i went and picked out what I THINK is a good good one for the price, however I'm not sure. So can any of you telescope experts out there take a look over this one?

Also what does an eye piece do (will I need any additional ones other than what comes with the scope?).

http://www.telescopes.com/telescope...umellz10deluxedobsonianreflectortelescope.cfm

I also found this one, http://www.skywatcherusa.com/10-dobsonian-telescope-s11720.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Zhumell has a pretty good reputation, and by sticking with a Dob', you're putting most of your money into optics, not fancy mounts and electronics. I already own a 6" Apochromat, but if I ever get another scope with more light-grasp, a Zhumell Dob' is at the top of the list. Have fun!

What about eye pieces?

Stratosphere said:
What about eye pieces?
try the scope for a while and see. You have to pay some attention, though. If you start buying EPs in variations of 2, you' be pretty stupid to buy a 2X barlow, since you'd be duplicating all but the highest and lowest EPs. Borrow EPs from friends and plan!

I would recommend you get at least one additional eyepiece. From the zhumell scope, I saw it comes with a 9mm eyepiece, which gives magnification of something like 120x. This is pretty good for planetary viewing (although a little more magnification can be useful), and also good for lunar viewing. For DSOs though, often times you want a little less magnification (also for just general viewing and spotting things). I'd recommend something in the 20-25mm range.

Stratosphere said:
What about eye pieces?
My response was abrupt and I apologize. Get together with some observing buddies (you might want to join an astronomy club, which I always recommend as step #1) and swap EP's in and out. You will want a nice wide-angle EP (long focal length) for many objects, but some of them do not "play well" with fast Newtonians. You'll have to find out what works well for you. Then, when you have identified some EPs that you might want, you should look at their focal lengths and see if you might be best-served by a 2, 2.5, 3X Barlow and still avoid duplication of powers. Barlows can be handy when boosting the power of an EP while still retaining the eye-relief of the EP. Some really short EP's can be terrible in that regard, especially if you have to wear glasses to correct for astigmatism, etc.

Stratosphere said:
What about eye pieces?

The http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=8933" covers focal lengths of 21 mm, 17.6 mm, 15.5 mm, and 14mm. Any of those can be barlowed as well.

Those combinations retain the flat field, 68o AFOV and 20 mm eye relief. I can't imagine a better deal for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I choose the right telescope for my needs?

Choosing the right telescope depends on several factors, such as your budget, the type of objects you want to observe, and your level of experience. It's important to do some research and read reviews to find a telescope that fits your specific needs. You may also want to consider attending a star party or visiting an observatory to try out different telescopes before making a purchase.

2. What type of telescope is best for beginners?

For beginners, a refracting or reflecting telescope is a good option. Refracting telescopes use lenses to gather and focus light, while reflecting telescopes use mirrors. These types of telescopes are typically easier to use and maintain compared to other types, such as compound or computerized telescopes.

3. How important is the size of the telescope's aperture?

The aperture, or the diameter of the telescope's primary lens or mirror, is an important factor in determining the telescope's light-gathering ability. Generally, the larger the aperture, the more light the telescope can gather, resulting in brighter and clearer images. However, larger apertures also mean larger and more expensive telescopes, so it's important to consider your budget and observing goals when choosing a telescope.

4. Should I invest in a computerized telescope?

This depends on your personal preferences and observing goals. A computerized telescope, also known as a "GoTo" telescope, uses a computerized system to automatically locate and track celestial objects. This can be helpful for beginners or those who want to view specific objects without manually searching for them. However, these types of telescopes tend to be more expensive and may require some technical knowledge to operate.

5. Are there any accessories that are essential for telescope owners?

Some essential accessories for telescope owners include eyepieces, a sturdy tripod or mount, and a star chart or guidebook. Eyepieces come in different magnifications and can help you achieve different levels of detail in your observations. A sturdy tripod or mount is necessary for stability and smooth movement of the telescope, while a star chart or guidebook can help you locate and identify celestial objects in the night sky.