Was wondering what set c to its speed ?

• Thread starter bozo the clown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of light, c, and what exactly determines this value. The participants mention the electrical and magnetic properties of the vacuum and how they may play a role in setting c, as well as the possibility of string theory providing an answer. Ultimately, it is unclear what exactly sets the value of c.
bozo the clown
was wondering what set c to its speed ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
was wondering what you really masgrgdffh ?

was wondering what you really masgrgdffh ?

Lol. Did you fall asleep on your keyboard before finishing that sentence? :smile:

And Bozo, c is the speed of light.

"was wondering what set c to its speed ?"

from what i can interpret from that badly written question, he wants to know what exactly sets a photons speed to C and not to any other velocity.

Gza said:
Lol. Did you fall asleep on your keyboard before finishing that sentence? :smile:

No, but I wanted to be about as coherent as Bozo.

The electrical and magnetic properties of the vacuum set the value of c, according to the Maxwell equations.

As a follow-up to what selfAdjoint wrote, is there any hope that string theory will help answer why "the electrical and magnetic properties of the vacuum set the value of c"?

My guess: probably not. ST will probably set out a range of possible values for c, or outline equations which will function if c is a certain value, or whatever. But I doubt it would mathematically define c to be a specific value as a matter of neccessity.

I don't think c is just set by magnetic properties of the vacuum, and so on. I think that c is a specific property set by the geometry of our particular spacetime, and that the permeability/permitivity constants are effects, rather than causes. But then again, I don't really know.

1) How does the speed of an object relate to its set value for c?

The speed of an object is directly related to the set value for c, which is the speed of light in a vacuum. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel.

2) What factors determine the value of c for an object?

The value of c is determined by the medium through which the object is traveling. In a vacuum, the value of c is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. In other mediums, such as air or water, the value of c may be slightly lower due to the medium's density.

3) Can the value of c ever be exceeded?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the value of c is the maximum speed an object can travel. This means that no object can ever exceed the speed of light in a vacuum.

4) Why is the speed of light in a vacuum considered a fundamental constant?

The speed of light in a vacuum is considered a fundamental constant because it is a universal value that does not change regardless of the observer's perspective or the object's velocity. This makes it a crucial component in many fundamental equations and theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity.

5) How does the speed of light in a vacuum impact our understanding of the universe?

The speed of light in a vacuum plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It helps us measure the distance between objects in space, determine the age of the universe, and understand the effects of gravity. It also allows us to see objects that are billions of light-years away, giving us a glimpse into the history of our universe.