Converting noise into electrical energy

In summary, the idea is not very practical because it would only be useful for small amounts of electricity.
Thank you for your responses, it is Challenging to read them. I am assembling some data and i will respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
kthouz said:
I also think that increasing the yield should violate thermodynamics laws. And about about the point that a turning fork is able to break a glass may be depending on the structure of the glass and the resonance phenomenon. May be kwaekins should have some interesting ideas to share but he has to explain clearly

It doesn't have to be resonance when you touch with a tuning fork. It's just that the prongs are vibrating at fairly high speed and they are of significant mass. They are 'matched' to the dense glass with a high modulus and can transfer a lot of their energy. They are highly mis-matched to the air so they do not transfer energy very rapidly (you can't hear it without a matching device - like a sounding board).

But I'm really not sure where he is going with this - is the exercise to 'harvest' wasted noise energy or to transfer energy from one thing to another? Either way you won't get much efficiency out of the system.

You keep saying that noise has too little energy... what about covering scyscrapers with noise absorbing material it would absorb waves is all scyscrapers in ny would have this i guess we would get a lot of energy

Jarfi said:
You keep saying that noise has too little energy... what about covering scyscrapers with noise absorbing material it would absorb waves is all scyscrapers in ny would have this i guess we would get a lot of energy

I assume you know how much "noise" there is? It's really not that much.

Once you allow for losses on the "capturing" equipment you'd be left with bugger all to work with.

Jarfi said:
Why do insist on ignoring the figures? This won't work 'just because you want it to'. If you aspire to be, in any way, an Engineer or a Physicist then you need to trust what the figures tell you. Do the sums yourself and estimate how much energy this system that's in your head, could yield. It's not up to the forum to give you detailed reasons why it's not on - it's up to you to prove that it is on. We've indicated the sort of numbers involved for you to make a start.
Wrapping Manhattan in a jacket (at least, bits of it) could give you a good return on your money- but simply because you could save on heat energy loss. But, bearing in mind how much they spend on extracting heat from all the buildings in order to make them liveable then even that wouldn't be a worthwhile scheme.

maybe you could make something like the mechanics inside of a self winding watch but on a larger scale sensitive enough (a million watches LOL) to wind with vibration from the sound. You could build a structure tuned to the harmonics of the sound so it vibrates violently and winds up a bunch of tiny gear train generators.

Great idea!

1. Random background noise won't be easy to 'tune into'. You'd need a dynamic system to constantly adjust it for the harmonics - another energy drain.

2. There is significantly more energy in a wrist movement than there is in sound of this scale. So it's not something you can compare up doing. You'd be better off putting wind turbines on the skyscrapers.

This is now a joke. Yes?

sophiecentaur said:
This is now a joke. Yes?

Yes.

Not a joke - nothing scientific about jokes in my regards to this issue. I have 80% of the physics worked out and can assemble numerical data to support and further evaluate. The rules (the ones we know) at play have straightforward work-arounds that will advance technology in a significant manner. We will have a few new inventions of-sorts. The principals are easy to navigate and create, yet it has yet to be manufactured.
I am in support and am glad for your contact. My brain knows it works - a working prototype will be on my table in the next year.
Doubt it - necessity is the mother of invention!

When you have assembled all the numerical data, I will be interested to find out just how much power is available. Without the sums, none of this holds water.

kthouz, i imagine ur thots & it seems alrite. i think d idea is 2 make electricity & not v.loud noise.d microphone as an input, amplifier, then a speaker enclosed in a system (sound not heard) to cause vibration. from d random vibration u could create a mechanical system, den electrical system.again dis system can't work on its own so u'll need an initial start current to power it b/4 creating a feedback & control system.all d best.

Why do you write in text speak? I should have thought it would be courtesy and sense to use the accepted style on the forum (i.e. something like written English) if you want anyone to bother with any argument you may be putting forward.

Last edited:
In a building any noise is converted into heat as it's absorbed by the walls, floor, etc., so it doesn't always represent wasted energy. It eases by a small amount the load that cool weather makes on heating demands from your aircon.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting fact: If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would produce enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. :tongue2:

sodaboy7 said:
Here is an interesting fact: If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would produce enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. :tongue2:

Do you have any reference (paper, book, ...), please?

dhairya said:
if i convert noise into electrical form than i can use some electronics things to remove noise. My application of this conversion is for removing noise in apartments or dense area which generally comes from window so i want to make something which removes noise with opened window.thanks for reply.
Active noise-cancelling techniques are a well-established science. Do a google search. It can't achieve the impossible, though.

Active Noise reduction uses power from a power supply. It isn't a harvesting technique. Quite the reverse.

Hmmm...I would have sworn that microphones already did this. The vibrations from the sound waves created a small current or something along those lines. I think it was something about the vibrations causing a tiny magnet to vibrate in a coil of wire, inducing a voltage/current.

That's how a microphone works (moving coil, ribbon etc etc). It transfers mechanical vibrations into tiny electrical signals. But a microphone only gathers a minute amount of sound power and it is not a very efficient transducer in any case. An 'active' system uses energy from a power supply and redirects or absorbs noise energy - an overall loss of useful energy.
Why do people just not bother to do the sums and work out exactly how much energy is available? The actual figures are what count in these matters. What applies perfectly well in principle may not actually apply in practice.

If you invented a machine that would make you 1 penny every minute, it would earn you about £5k a year. Sounds great but if it cost you £10k to build and took £5k a year to maintain, it would be a dead loss. The 'energy from noise' idea is like that but many times worse - more like one penny every hour. You have to get real - particularly if you are thinking of investing your own money.

Save energy - don't try to re-use it.

hey...i thot of a new idea of converting solar energy to electrical along with mechanical energy which is of good use...and as per ur advices i thot of even converting the noise produced by the mechanical equipments to electrical energy to minimise losses of energy...and to use even heat i thot of using helium as means of heat transfer! i hve a hunch that it might be problematic...have any other ideas fellas??

If you try to do energy conversion with a heat engine then you have already built in the fundamental problem of thermodynamic efficiency.
This scattergun approach won't produce anything useful. you know. There are fundamental limits to what's possible - even if there are none to the imagination.

On the other hand, if you wanted to make loads of money by marketing a whacky system, you could be successful because there are many out there who are more gullible than you!

btw, Helium would just cost you a lot of money to no avail. Commercial PV cells are about as good as you'll get at this stage. There's a lot of that Solar Power available but there just isn't enough mechanical noise power available. Ten more pages of posts won't alter that.

Please let me know, if anyone have formula to convert sound into electricity ?

I am researching on this topic since 10 years, but little bit reach { V=E }

Thanks.

What do you mean by that question? Watts of Power are Watts of Power, in whatever form. Are you asking about the performance of a particular device? All devices are different. You can find information about the sensitivity of microphones, which will tell you how may mV to expect for a certain sound level. It will be absolutely minuscule, in terms of power.
If you have, as you say, been researching this topic for ten years then I should be interested to know why this research hasn't included Cost Benefit Analysis. I might suggest that you, your computer and the rest of the circuitry on the internet have used (/wasted) more energy on this discussion than you could ever claw back as 'reused' sound energy in any system you may devise.
If you want to get a sympathetic reception and actual encouragement for this sort of idea then you should try a fringe / alternative site, where people may not actually have basic Engineering and Scientific knowhow.
Seriously, do you have a single hard fact that could lead you to think this is a sensible idea?

im thankfull for ur reply sir, but i need to do smething useful for the upcoming project submissions in a good university and I am desperate to get a seat in that...im ready to do any project and can u give me any ideas on anymore projects?

read about Edison's Vocal Engine, or phonomotor. just by talking into his machine he could drill a hole through a board or run a sewing machine. if his vocal powered invention had enough power to run an early 1900's sewing machine, or operate a drill, it can generate electrical current. nothing new under the sun, just forgotten...

With respect, someone has got this wrong. Where would the Power come from? I mean the figures for the Watts involved.

Edison may have patented the idea but look at this http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/01/18/flops-of-famous-inventors/"

Patents do not all actually work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Brilliant minds think alike too bad it can't be patented at least not in whole but good luck in you studies ,and remember to stay positive and keep at least 1 foot on the ground ! =)

The spectum is grand lol ,UHF,VHF,AM and let's not forget the radio telescope option while your at it .Good Luck!

All of our comments concerning low energy conversion are accurate, and need to be addressed. The first issue here is what would you use this energy for?

Consider that if the energy is intended to be a source for a low energy system it will have a sufficient capacity for many purposes. Take for existence the creation of electircal energy through sound transmissions in underwater systems...radar, sonar, acoustic receivers, audio tranceivers... create a signal (normally frequency focused, meaning a specific frequency) that goes out into the medium of air or water, reflects off of a surface and is returned at a significant reduction of energy...afterall, that transmission was multi-directional...and yet on return it (sound) flashes crystal receivers that respond using the Pizioelectric effect to create micro-voltages that are then able to create a meassurable, trackable signal.

Consider that passive sonars and receivers take in a signal from the enviornment and deliver a response to the tracking sensors. What if we used a broadband sensor to take in all noise from the surrounding enviornment and allowed it to generate a managable signal that can be clipped into a usable, potentially storable source of energy.

If the sensor is broad enough in size and frequency, say the size of a wall in a room, and if the vibration from the equipment, the party, the sports event yields a meaningful output it is reasonable to assume that we could collect and store the energy in a way that will be able to make a difference.

It may, of course, be an economy of scale type of thing. Large nosie makers like factory complexes might be sufficient sources for our use...while the noise from a doorbell may not; Sporting events...the rage of the audience...might make a mark on the requirment...but a golf tournament would be of no value...a Rock Concert..perhaps...a folk singer...maybe not.

u can use piezo electric crystals they can also use energy from other wave forms

selva4640 said:
u can use piezo electric crystals they can also use energy from other wave forms
How much energy is floating around as 'vibrations'? Unless you can quote some actual figures the notion is groundless.
And which "other waveforms" did you have in mind? You need to specify if you want to be taken seriously.

Listen, chaps. IFFFFF there were enough 'free energy' floating around then could someone explain to me how incredibly weak broadcast signals can be picked up and understood, despite all this energy being out there? The amount of 'FREE' RF power in all the broadcast bands just HAS to be a lot less than the TOTAL Power that can be received in the form of broadcast signal energy.
Just tune up and down the bands and you will get a good indication of what signals are available. Most of those receivable signals will have powers of 1microWatt or less. So, if you could receive AND USE a million of them, you'd have just ONE WATT to play with.
Ye Gods - get real. If it could be done, it WOULD be.

How can anyone seriously argue otherwise.

<h2>1. What is the process of converting noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>The process of converting noise into electrical energy involves using a device called a transducer, which converts mechanical energy (sound waves) into electrical energy. The transducer contains a diaphragm that vibrates when exposed to sound waves, and this vibration is then converted into an electrical signal.</p><h2>2. What types of noise can be converted into electrical energy?</h2><p>Any type of noise that creates vibrations can potentially be converted into electrical energy. This includes sound waves from human voices, music, traffic, and even wind or ocean waves.</p><h2>3. How efficient is the conversion of noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>The efficiency of the conversion depends on the type of transducer used and the quality of the sound waves. Generally, the efficiency is low, with only a small percentage of the sound energy being converted into electrical energy.</p><h2>4. What are some practical applications of converting noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>One practical application is in the field of renewable energy. Sound energy can be harnessed from busy urban areas or near transportation routes to generate electricity. It can also be used in noise-cancelling headphones or microphones, where the sound waves are converted into electrical signals to cancel out background noise.</p><h2>5. Are there any potential drawbacks to converting noise into electrical energy?</h2><p>One potential drawback is that the conversion process can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity, which can impact the performance of the transducer. Additionally, the conversion efficiency is low, so it may not be a reliable source of energy on its own.</p>

1. What is the process of converting noise into electrical energy?

The process of converting noise into electrical energy involves using a device called a transducer, which converts mechanical energy (sound waves) into electrical energy. The transducer contains a diaphragm that vibrates when exposed to sound waves, and this vibration is then converted into an electrical signal.

2. What types of noise can be converted into electrical energy?

Any type of noise that creates vibrations can potentially be converted into electrical energy. This includes sound waves from human voices, music, traffic, and even wind or ocean waves.

3. How efficient is the conversion of noise into electrical energy?

The efficiency of the conversion depends on the type of transducer used and the quality of the sound waves. Generally, the efficiency is low, with only a small percentage of the sound energy being converted into electrical energy.

4. What are some practical applications of converting noise into electrical energy?

One practical application is in the field of renewable energy. Sound energy can be harnessed from busy urban areas or near transportation routes to generate electricity. It can also be used in noise-cancelling headphones or microphones, where the sound waves are converted into electrical signals to cancel out background noise.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to converting noise into electrical energy?

One potential drawback is that the conversion process can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity, which can impact the performance of the transducer. Additionally, the conversion efficiency is low, so it may not be a reliable source of energy on its own.