Finding a unit vector orthogonal to

In summary, the conversation is about finding a unit vector that is orthogonal to two given vectors using the properties of dot product. The person suggests using the formula A*B = |A||B| cos(theta) and finding a unit vector B that is perpendicular to the displacement vector of the given vectors. They question if this assumption is correct.
tnutty

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector that is orthogonal to both i + j and i + k.

I know I can solve this using the cross product of the two. But This chapter is about
dot product and not cross product.

I am not sure how I could go about solving this problem using the properties of a dot product.

This is just a review, in test I would use the cross product.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinking about this, I think I could use this formula :

A*B = |A||B| cos(theta);

=

B / |B| = |A|cos(theta) / A

Where A is the displacement vector from the given vector, and theta should be 90 deg.

Thus I would find a unit vector, B, perpendicular to the displacement vector of the
given vectors, which is parallel to Each of the 2 given vector.

Is this assumption correct?

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. It is used to represent a direction or orientation in space.

2. How do you find a unit vector?

To find a unit vector, you need to first calculate the magnitude of the vector. Then, divide each component of the vector by the magnitude to get the unit vector in the same direction.

3. What does it mean for a unit vector to be orthogonal?

A unit vector is orthogonal when it is perpendicular to another vector. This means that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to 0.

4. How do you determine if a unit vector is orthogonal to a given vector?

To determine if a unit vector is orthogonal to a given vector, you can calculate the dot product of the two vectors. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the two vectors are orthogonal.

5. Can there be more than one unit vector orthogonal to a given vector?

Yes, there can be multiple unit vectors that are orthogonal to a given vector. This is because there are infinite directions that are perpendicular to any given vector.