Confirming and asking questions

• Thread starter noodlesssssss
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking confirmation on their answers for a given function f(x)=[2x-4]/[x^2-x-2]. They are asking which statements are true, and have provided their answers of II and III. They also ask if their answer for the derivative is correct and how to find x by setting the top part equal to 0. The response advises the individual to show their work and not ask for others to do it for them. The expert also confirms that II is true but the first statement is incorrect.
noodlesssssss
Not sure where I made the mistake?

1. for f(x)=[2x-4]/[x^2-x-2], which of the following is true?
I. f(x) has no relative extrema
II. There are vertical asymptotes at x=2 and x=-1
III. There is a horizontal asymptote at y=0

My answer:
Only II & III because i don't get how one is right?

what I did was:
f'=[2x^2+8x-8]/[x^2-x-2]^2
is that the right answer for the derivative? because if it is, wouldn't u be able to find x by setting the top part = to 0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are unlikely to get any help unless you show how you got the answers you are showing.

Also, for your last two questions, the purpose of this forum is NOT to do people's work for them. If you want some help, show what you have done and we will help you out.

I don't particularly mind people seeking to confirm their answers, especially if (like in this case) getting to them takes only ten seconds. I'll tell the OP that he got the second question right and the first one wrong. (Hint: II is true, but it's not the only true statement.)

However, what's absolutely not permissible is posting entire questions here and saying "Please show work!". YOU, the OP, should be the one showing work! Tell us what you've tried and where you're stuck and we'll help you.

1. How do you confirm a hypothesis?

Confirming a hypothesis involves conducting experiments and analyzing data to see if the results support the hypothesis. This process is known as the scientific method, and it involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, and analyzing the data to draw conclusions.

2. What is the importance of asking questions in science?

Asking questions is an essential part of the scientific process. It helps to guide research and experimentation, uncover new information, and challenge existing theories. By asking questions, scientists can better understand the world around them and make new discoveries.

3. How do you know when to stop asking questions?

In science, there is always room for more questions and further research. However, when a hypothesis has been thoroughly tested and supported by multiple experiments and data analysis, it can be considered confirmed. At this point, scientists can move on to new questions and hypotheses to continue expanding knowledge.

4. How do you ask effective questions in science?

Effective questions in science are specific, testable, and based on observations. They should also be relevant to the current research and have clear objectives. Additionally, asking open-ended questions can lead to more in-depth and informative answers compared to closed-ended questions.

5. What should you do if your results do not support your hypothesis?

If the results of an experiment do not support the hypothesis, it does not necessarily mean that the hypothesis is incorrect. Scientists should analyze the data and look for possible errors or alternative explanations. If necessary, they can modify the hypothesis and conduct further experiments to confirm or refute it.