Create Your Perfect Browser: Customize Firefox for You

• C/C++
  • Thread starter Rhine720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, rhine720 thinks that because Internet Explorer is written in C++, it is a bad indicator because Firefox is also written in C++.
Rhine720
Create my own browser? I like firefox and all, but I can't get it to be PERFECT for me..

Technology news on Phys.org
As a general principle you can write any program in any general purpose programming language. Some languages are better at some things than others. Internet Explorer is written in C++ so that is a fairly good indicator...

Most of the software you use will have been written in C or C++.

silverfrost said:
As a general principle you can write any program in any general purpose programming language. Some languages are better at some things than others. Internet Explorer is written in C++ so that is a fairly good indicator...

Most of the software you use will have been written in C or C++.
I don't know this for a fact, but I would venture to guess that a major fraction of IE is written in C#.

Mark44 said:
I don't know this for a fact, but I would venture to guess that a major fraction of IE is written in C#.

I am not an expert, but isn't C# some kind of an extension of C, just like C++?

C# is not an extension of C or C++. It is a modified Java. Java's syntax was heavily influenced by C and so C# looks like C/C++. C# definitely has some good point over Java, I think they have done a nice job with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)

I doubt much (if any) of IE or any OS components are written in C#. .NET is not well suited to writing OS extensions.

silverfrost said:
I doubt much (if any) of IE or any OS components are written in C#. .NET is not well suited to writing OS extensions.
Large programs, such as IE, can be written using multiple programming languages, with parts such as user interfaces written in .NET managed code (C#), and other, lower-level parts written in C++.

Programs can be written in multiple languages but IE and any part of the Windows OS is probably not going to be. There are reasons why .NET cannot be used in system parts. The CLR can only exist in one version per process and so adding it to any part of the system that can be used as part of another process would restrict that processes choice of CLR (IE can be embedded). Also, there is no real need to write IE in C# -- remember most of IE existed before C# was thought about.

silverfrost said:
Internet Explorer is written in C++ so that is a fairly good indicator...

Rhine720 want's a perfect browser, so fact that IE is written in C++ is a fairly BAD indicator.

Last edited:
Firefox is open source. Why not just modify it to suit your desires?

borek said:
rhine720 want's a perfect browser, so fact that ie is written in c++ is a fairly bad indicator.

lol.

I have never used a good browser...

DavidSnider said:
Firefox is open source. Why not just modify it to suit your desires?

A better idea would be to learn Javascript and write firefox plugins until whatever it is you didn't like about firefox is fixed. This will be much simpler than learning enough C++ to write a web browser.

1. What is Firefox?

Firefox is a free and open-source web browser developed by Mozilla Foundation. It is available for desktop and mobile devices and is known for its speed, security, and customization options.

2. How can I customize Firefox for my specific needs?

You can customize Firefox by using various features such as themes, add-ons, and extensions. These allow you to change the appearance and functionality of the browser according to your preferences.

3. Can I create my own themes for Firefox?

Yes, you can create your own themes for Firefox using the built-in Theme Builder tool. This allows you to customize the colors, icons, and backgrounds of the browser to create a personalized look.

4. Are there any privacy concerns with customizing Firefox?

No, Firefox takes privacy seriously and allows you to customize the browser without compromising your privacy. You can choose which data and information to share with Mozilla and can also use privacy-focused add-ons and settings.

5. Is it easy to revert back to the default settings after customization?

Yes, it is easy to revert back to the default settings in Firefox. You can simply go to the browser's settings and click on the "Restore Defaults" button. This will undo all the customizations and return the browser to its original state.