What is the expression for the density of states in 2D?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the density of states of free two-dimensional electrons in terms of energy. The expression is given as g(E) = \frac{1}{V}\frac{dN}{dE}, but since this is in 2D, the V is actually an area. The conversation also covers finding an expression for the number of states, N(E), in terms of N(k) and converting it to N(E). It is suggested to try finding an expression for N(n), then converting it to N(k), and finally to N(E). The final expression for g(E) is given as g(E) = \frac{1}{A}\frac{2mL^2}{\pi\
jeebs
Hi,
I am trying to find an expression for the density of states of free two-dimensional electrons, as a function of energy, and I am really struggling.

I get that what I am looking for is the number of states per unit area of k-space per unit energy, and in general (3D), this is expressed as

density of states [tex]g(E) = \frac{1}{V}\frac{dN}{dE}[/tex]

However, since this is in 2D, the V is actually an area. In k-space, I think a unit of area is [tex]A=\frac{\pi}{L}\frac{\pi}{L} = \frac{\pi^2}{L^2}[/tex] since[tex] k=\frac{\pi}{L}[/tex] for the smallest allowed length in k-space.

So, what I need is some expression for the number of states, N(E), but presumably have to find it in terms of N(k) first.

So, what I said was that the free electron has energy [tex]E = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m_e}(k_x^2 + k_y^2)[/tex] so that when I know N in terms of k, I can easily convert it to N in terms of E.

So I think I eventually need to get [tex] g(E) = \frac{L^2}{\pi^2}\frac{dN(E)}{dE} [/tex]

However, this is where I have ran out of steam. I haven't been able to come up with an expression for the number of states as a function of wave number, N(k).

Can anyone give me a hand here? It would make a lovely Christmas present :wink:
Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the actual wavenumbers [itex]k_x[/itex] and [itex]k_y[/itex] of any given state are going to be multiples of the quantum [itex]\pi/L[/itex], right? (Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this correctly) So the energy expression is
[tex]E = \frac{\hbar^2\pi^2}{2 m_e L^2}\bigl(n_x^2 + n_y^2\bigr)[/tex]
Now you have a grid, basically, in which there is a state at each point with integer coordinates. You can make a one-to-one correspondence between points/states and 1x1 unit squares on the grid. So the number of unit squares within any large enough area is about the same as the number of states within that area.

Try finding an expression for N(n), then convert it to N(k), then to N(E). If you're still stuck after a while, I'm sure someone will get back to you.

Have you tried writing to Santa? :tongue2:

How many states are inside a circle with radius k?

a circle of radius k has an area [tex]A=\pi k^2[/tex]

and i believe there is one state per unit area on that grid, right?

so is the number of states [tex]N = \frac{A}{ \pi ^2/L^2} = \frac{L^2k^2}{\pi}[/tex] ??

Seems reasonable so far...

Right so, [tex] N(k) = \frac{A}{\pi ^2 / L^2} [/tex] and [tex]E = \frac{\hbar ^2k^2}{2m} =\frac{\hbar ^2n^2\pi ^2}{2mL^2}[/tex]

so [tex] N(E) = \frac{\pi k^2}{\pi ^2 / L^2} = \frac{L^2}{\pi}\frac{2mE}{\hbar ^2} [/tex]

so my density of states is given by [tex] g(E) = \frac{1}{A}\frac{dN(E)}{dE} = \frac{1}{A}\frac{2mL^2}{\pi \hbar ^2} = \frac{2mL^4}{\pi^3 \hbar ^2} ? [/tex]

how can this be right if I am looking for g as a function of E, but E does not appear in this expression?

The expression before last is correct, I think. However the V in [tex]g(E) = \frac{1}{V}\frac{dN}{dE}[/tex] refers to the volume in position space (volume of the "box") not volume in momentum space. As to E dependence, it seems that for a 2D system the energy density is constant.

1. What is the difference between 2D and 3D density of states?

The density of states in a material refers to the number of available energy states per unit volume. In 2D materials, the density of states is calculated based on the available energy states per unit area, while in 3D materials, it is calculated based on the available energy states per unit volume.

2. How does the density of states affect the electronic properties of 2D materials?

The density of states plays a crucial role in determining the electronic properties of 2D materials. It affects the electronic band structure, conductivity, and optical properties of these materials. A high density of states leads to more available energy states for electrons to occupy, resulting in higher conductivity and optical absorption.

3. What factors influence the density of states in 2D materials?

The density of states in 2D materials is influenced by various factors including the material's composition, crystal structure, and surface defects. The size and shape of the 2D material also play a role, as well as the presence of impurities or dopants.

4. How can the density of states be experimentally measured in 2D materials?

There are several experimental techniques used to measure the density of states in 2D materials, including scanning tunneling microscopy, angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, and capacitance-voltage measurements. These techniques provide information about the energy levels and distribution of states in the material.

5. What are the applications of studying the density of states in 2D materials?

Understanding the density of states in 2D materials is essential for the development of new electronic and optoelectronic devices. It can also provide insights into the fundamental properties of these materials and aid in the design and optimization of their performance for various applications such as energy harvesting, sensing, and data storage.