Moment Generating Function

In summary, the conversation discusses defining a random variable X with a probability density function f(x) and a moment-generating function M_x(t). It then considers defining a new random variable Y as -X, and asks for the moment-generating function M_y(t) for Y. The conversation notes that one approach is to first find the probability density function f(y) and then use it to find M_y(t), but wonders if there is an easier way since M_x(t) is already known. The conversation also discusses simplifying the expression for M_cX(t) and how it relates to M_x(t). Finally, one of the speakers shares their solution for the problem using the form of the function of x.
zli034
Say r.v. X, we have pdf f(x) and mgf Mx(t) defined.

Then define Y=-X, y is negative x.

Can we get mgf of Y, i.e. My(t) and how?

I know I can go the way to get pdf f(y) first then My(t). I want to know if Mx(t) is already in my hands, it should be easier to get My(t) other than do f(y) first.

I thought about this whole afternoon. Just don't get it. Please help and thanks in advance.

xoxo

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that for any random variable

[tex]
M_x(t) = E[e^{tx}]
[/tex]

If you want the mgf for cX (any constant times X)

[tex]
M_{cX}(t) = E[e^{t(cx)}]
[/tex]

How can you simplify this expression, how does it relate to [tex] M_X(t)[/tex],
and how do both observations relate to your problem?

I have found one way.

I have here x=log(1-x) and f(x) also known.

So we can see if I put x=log(1-x) into Mcx(t), it can be simplified easily. Here is my solution for this problem and it depends on the form of function of x.

How does your second post relate to your first question?

1. What is a moment generating function?

A moment generating function (MGF) is a mathematical function that uniquely defines the probability distribution of a random variable. It provides a way to calculate the moments of a distribution, such as the mean, variance, and higher order moments, by taking derivatives of the MGF.

2. How is a moment generating function related to a probability distribution?

The MGF of a probability distribution is a mathematical representation of that distribution. It encodes all the information about the distribution, including its shape, location, and spread. By calculating the moments of a distribution using the MGF, we can fully characterize the distribution.

3. How is a moment generating function used in statistics?

The MGF is a useful tool in statistics for several reasons. It allows us to calculate the moments of a distribution, which can be used to estimate unknown parameters or test hypotheses. It also enables us to find the distribution of a sum of independent random variables, which is often used in statistical modeling and analysis.

4. What are the properties of a moment generating function?

There are several important properties of a moment generating function, including:

• The MGF exists for all values of t within a certain range.
  • The MGF uniquely defines the distribution of a random variable.
  • The MGF of a sum of independent random variables is the product of their individual MGFs.
  • The MGF of a linear combination of random variables is the product of their individual MGFs.

5. What is the difference between a moment generating function and a characteristic function?

Both moment generating functions and characteristic functions are used to represent probability distributions. However, the MGF is defined as a function of the real variable t, while the characteristic function is defined as a function of the imaginary variable i*t. Additionally, the MGF is useful for calculating moments, while the characteristic function is useful for calculating Fourier transforms.