Switch 4 wires with a Momentary switch

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of using relays to change the connection of a USB cable between ports, with one person suggesting using a four-channel switch with passive peak-suppression. However, they mention not having expertise in this area and suggest using a KVM switch as an alternative.
Haktar
Hey guys i have no idea how i would accomplish this, I am pretty sure i would made to make some sort of circuit but what i need it to be able to change where 4 wires go from a momentary switch like these.

an example would be to change which usb port a usb cable is connected to by the push of a button.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you SPECIFICALLY trying to decouple a USB cable from one port and connect it to another? They make those. They're called KVM switches.

If you're talking about using relays there's a lot you'd have to know. I guess the real first question is:

"Are you actually trying to do this with USB cables?"

it is with usb cables yes, its only the one usb device i need though i don't want vga or anything else

If you're just experimenting, then you could get four relays driven by a single switch and a 9V battery. It'll be good until the 9V battery dies, and then it will go back to the mechanical default. With Radio Shack prices what they are, you're best bet would be to go 12V and just go to Autozone and buy some cheap automotive relays.

If you're trying to make a finished product, then you could use a mechanical four-channel switch with passive peak-suppression on the 5V power channel of the USB cable. I would hesitate to give you advice on that though since I don't know all the IEEE standards for USB off the top of my head and I bet the ground-switching requirements are pretty rigid for a low-voltage device (especially flash drives).

Sorry, not my area of expertise.

1. How does a momentary switch work?

A momentary switch is a type of switch that only makes a connection while it is being held or pressed down. As soon as the pressure is released, the connection is broken. This allows for temporary or momentary activation of a circuit.

2. What is the purpose of using a momentary switch to switch 4 wires?

A momentary switch is often used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit by temporarily completing or breaking a connection. In the case of switching 4 wires, a momentary switch can be used to control the flow of electricity between those 4 wires, allowing for more complex and precise control over a circuit.

3. Can a momentary switch be used to switch AC or DC current?

Yes, a momentary switch can be used to switch both AC and DC current. However, it is important to ensure that the switch is rated for the voltage and current of the circuit it will be used in. Using a switch with a lower rating can cause it to fail or malfunction.

4. How is a momentary switch wired to switch 4 wires?

The wiring of a momentary switch to switch 4 wires will depend on the specific circuit and components being used. However, in general, the switch will have 4 terminals or poles that correspond to the 4 wires. These can be connected using either series or parallel wiring, depending on the desired effect.

5. What are some common applications for switching 4 wires with a momentary switch?

A momentary switch can be used in a variety of applications, such as controlling lights, motors, and other electronic devices. Some specific examples of switching 4 wires with a momentary switch include controlling the direction of a motor, activating different functions on a robot or electronic device, and controlling the flow of electricity in a complex circuit.