Tunnel ionization rates; question on atomic units

In summary, the Matlab script is giving incorrect answers due to incorrect input into the rate equation. I think my problem is that I'm using atomic units when the inputs are in other units. If anyone has any advice on how to properly use atomic units in this situation, please let me know.
dnic12345

Homework Statement

First of all, this is my first post here, so I apologize if I format things incorrectly.

I'm working on a Matlab script to evaluate the tunnel ionization rates via the PPT model given the correct set of input parameters. The rate equation I am using contains equations 1-11 of A. Talebpour, et al. "Semi-empirical model for the rate of tunnel ionization..." from Opcits Communications 163, (1999) 29-32.

The paragraph leading up to the formula gives "In this model the rate of the TI from a state of an atom with ionization potential Ei, quantum numbers l and m and effective charge Zeff, in a laser field with frequency w and peak electric field F, in atomic units is given by..."

My rate calculations are giving me answers that are many orders of magnitudes off and I think its due to my use of atomic units. I know I have l,m, and Zeff in my equations correct, but I am unsure on the ionization potentials, frequencies, and electric fields in atomic units. The values I have in other units are:

w = 2.8986e+014 Hz (1035 nm wavelength)
Ei = 15.58 eV (N2)
E-field = 1.5e10 V/m

Homework Equations

There are way too many to type out for this formula; my main question is about atomic units. See the above-referenced paper for the actual equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read about atomic units meaning that many constants (like h, hbar, etc) are identically set to 1, but I can't see how to apply this in my situation. I have found several different conversion factors online, but I can't convince myself that any of them are right.

If anyone is familiar with using atomic units in situations like this, please help!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea, I read through that and a number of other pages/pdfs. I did end up using values that are identical to what's on the wikipedia page. I believe I found my problem: the conglomeration of the eqs 1-11 spits out the tunnel ionization rate that I assumed to be in units of Hz. It makes more sense for the TI rate to be atomic units, given that all the inputs are in AU. When I convert the rate I calculate from AU to Hz, I get rates that are much closer to the reference values I have.

Now I think my work is just to make sure I have input and evaluated everything else correctly. I did use an approximation to an infinite sum that may be the key to my error.

Thanks for the response.

No problem, and good luck.

I understand your confusion about using atomic units in your calculations. Atomic units are a system of natural units, where certain fundamental constants are set to 1, making calculations simpler and more elegant. However, it can be challenging to convert values from other units into atomic units, especially if you are not familiar with the conversion factors.

In this case, the first step would be to convert all your values into their corresponding atomic unit equivalents. For example, the frequency can be converted using the formula ω = 2πc/λ, where c is the speed of light and λ is the wavelength. Once you have all your values in atomic units, you can proceed with your calculations using the equations provided in the paper.

It is also important to double-check your equations and make sure they are set up correctly. Sometimes, small mistakes in the equations can lead to significant errors in the results. Additionally, you can try comparing your results with those obtained by other researchers using the same model to check for any discrepancies.

I hope this helps in solving your problem. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is tunnel ionization?

Tunnel ionization is a quantum mechanical process in which an electron escapes from an atom or molecule due to the influence of an external electric field. This process occurs when the energy of the electron is not sufficient to overcome the potential energy barrier of the atom or molecule, but it can tunnel through the barrier due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. What are atomic units?

Atomic units (au) are a system of natural units commonly used in atomic and molecular physics. They are based on fundamental physical constants such as the electron mass, the electron charge, and the speed of light, and are used to simplify calculations and remove unnecessary factors from physical equations.

3. How is the tunnel ionization rate calculated?

The tunnel ionization rate is calculated using the Ammosov-Delone-Krainov (ADK) formula, which takes into account the electric field strength, the ionization potential of the atom or molecule, and the angular momentum of the electron. This formula is based on the semiclassical approximation and has been validated by experimental data.

4. What factors affect the tunnel ionization rate?

The tunnel ionization rate is mainly affected by the strength of the external electric field and the ionization potential of the atom or molecule. Other factors that can influence the rate include the wavelength and polarization of the electric field, the angular momentum of the electron, and the presence of nearby ions or molecules that can modify the potential energy barrier.

5. How is tunnel ionization used in scientific research?

Tunnel ionization is used in various areas of scientific research, such as in laser physics, atomic and molecular physics, and quantum optics. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in strong electric fields and is also used in the development of technologies such as high-power lasers, attosecond pulse generation, and electron diffraction imaging.