Industrial engineering to chemical engineering

In summary, it is possible for you to apply to graduate programs in first world countries in chemical, electrical, civil or mechanical engineering. However, you may need to take additional steps to strengthen your application and consider other options if you are unable to pursue a graduate degree in these fields.
sirownsalot
Hi, in about 1 year i will graduate with a ba in industrial engineering from a university in Peru. I have really good grades and its supposed to be the best at I.E in the country.
I really like science and i have realized that I.E is not really for me since it is more oriented towards management.

I wanted to know if i had any chance of applying to a graduate program in a first world country in chemical, electrical, civil or mechanical engineering. (i like all of them).

Since i studied in Peru i don't know if any university will take me seriously. The grading system is not based in gpa, it goes from 0-20 (i have 16.4 but if i work really hard i could end up graduating with a 17)

my dream is to use my creativity and scientific knowledge to design or build cool stuff.

If what i ask is not possible what other options do i have?
btw i am 20 years old.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible for you to apply to graduate programs in a first world country in chemical, electrical, civil or mechanical engineering. It will depend on the particular program that you are applying to, as well as your grades and other qualifications. You may need to take additional courses to demonstrate your knowledge in the subject area that you are applying to, or provide evidence of research experience. You should also make sure that your application materials are of high quality and that you have the necessary language proficiency to be successful in the program. Additionally, you may need to demonstrate that you have the financial resources to support yourself while in the program.If you are unable to pursue a graduate degree in one of those fields, there are still many other options available to you. Consider exploring other areas of engineering such as aerospace, bioengineering, computer engineering, or environmental engineering. You might also consider looking into other fields such as mathematics, physics, or computer science. In addition, you could look into programs that combine different disciplines such as multidisciplinary engineering, data science, or artificial intelligence. Finally, you could explore opportunities in industry, such as research and development roles or product design positions.

1. What is the difference between industrial engineering and chemical engineering?

Industrial engineering focuses on optimizing processes and systems in various industries, such as manufacturing and logistics. Chemical engineering, on the other hand, applies principles of chemistry and engineering to design and optimize processes involving the production of chemicals, fuels, and other products.

2. Can someone with a degree in industrial engineering work in the chemical engineering field?

While industrial engineering and chemical engineering have some overlapping skills and concepts, a degree in industrial engineering may not provide the necessary knowledge and training for a career in chemical engineering. However, individuals with a degree in industrial engineering may be able to transition into chemical engineering with additional education or training in chemical engineering principles.

3. What skills are important for a career in industrial engineering and chemical engineering?

Both industrial engineering and chemical engineering require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of mathematics and science. Communication and teamwork skills are also important, as both fields often involve working with other professionals to design and implement solutions.

4. What industries can industrial engineers and chemical engineers work in?

Industrial engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and energy. Chemical engineers often work in industries related to chemical production, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and oil and gas.

5. Is there any overlap between industrial engineering and chemical engineering in terms of career paths?

While the two fields have different focuses, there can be some overlap in career paths. For example, an industrial engineer with a background in process optimization may find opportunities in chemical plants or other industries that involve similar processes. Similarly, a chemical engineer with experience in project management may be able to transition to a career in industrial engineering.