Quantum physics and technology

In summary, quantum physics has led to significant improvements in computers and technology through various applications such as solid state electronics and quantum entanglement techniques. It has also played a role in the development of smaller chip sizes and the invention of devices like iPods. The impact of quantum theory on these advancements can be attributed to its discovery in 1927 and its continued influence in modern science and technology.
snackster17
Hi, i have learned some basic principles of quantum physics and and know that quantum physics has led to improvements in computers and technology. But can someone please explain to me the details on how quantum theory has improved chip size or gave way to ipods, I am i even right? did quantum theory lead to these new electronics? thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
snackster17 said:
Hi, i have learned some basic principles of quantum physics and and know that quantum physics has led to improvements in computers and technology. But can someone please explain to me the details on how quantum theory has improved chip size or gave way to ipods, I am i even right? did quantum theory lead to these new electronics? thank you

Quantum theory goes back to 1927, so most everything after that is dependent on it in some way. Examples would be solid state electronics, including semiconductors, and a significant amount of modern chemistry. So really it is just a matter of how you want to attribute it.

The quantum phenomenon of Giant Magnetoresistance has had pretty spectacular application to hard disk technology:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3309810/iPod-hard-drive-inventors-land-Nobel-Prize.html

Quantum entanglement techniques can be used to reduce chip size. (edit: or maybe not http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25336/)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is quantum physics and technology?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Quantum technology utilizes the principles of quantum physics to create new technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors.

How does quantum technology differ from traditional technology?

Traditional technology is based on classical physics, which follows predictable laws and principles. Quantum technology, on the other hand, utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics, which allows for non-deterministic behavior and the ability to exist in multiple states at once.

What are some potential applications of quantum technology?

Quantum technology has many potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, quantum sensors, and quantum imaging. These technologies have the potential to greatly improve computing power, data security, and imaging capabilities.

What are the challenges in developing quantum technology?

One of the main challenges in developing quantum technology is maintaining the delicate quantum state of particles, which can easily be disrupted by external factors. Another challenge is the cost and complexity of building and operating quantum devices.

What are the implications of quantum technology on our daily lives?

Quantum technology has the potential to greatly impact our daily lives. It could lead to faster and more secure communication, more accurate sensors for medical and environmental purposes, and advancements in fields such as drug discovery and artificial intelligence.