Magnitude of Electric field at point P

In summary, to find the magnitude of the electric field at point P in this scenario, you will need to use the formula for electric field and apply it three times for each charge. The resulting electric fields will need to be added together to find the total magnitude at point P.
sambooby123

Homework Statement

If Q=80nC, a=3.0m , and b=4.0m in the figure, what is the magnitude of the electric field at point P?

phyprob.jpg

Homework Equations

EF=k*Q1*Q2 / R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem. Do I use the above equation? I don't have the answer to the problem so I'm kinda in the dark about this. Thanks.

My answer is 46.78

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Sambooby.
That formula you have is for force. You need to look up the one for electric field. You will have to use it three times to find the E field at P due to each of the charges. These fields will be in different directions, so you will have to add the vectors to find their total.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field at point P?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field at point P is E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance between the source and point P.

2. How does distance affect the magnitude of electric field at point P?

The magnitude of electric field at point P is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source and point P. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of electric field at point P?

The magnitude of electric field at point P is affected by the charge of the source, the distance between the source and point P, and the medium through which the electric field is passing. Additionally, the direction of the electric field lines also influences the magnitude at point P.

4. Is the magnitude of electric field at point P affected by the shape of the source?

No, the shape of the source does not affect the magnitude of electric field at point P. As long as the distance and charge remain the same, the magnitude of electric field at point P will be the same regardless of the source's shape.

5. How is the magnitude of electric field at point P represented graphically?

The magnitude of electric field at point P can be represented graphically by using electric field lines. These lines point in the direction of the electric field and are closer together where the electric field is stronger and farther apart where the electric field is weaker.