How Do Theoretical Concepts Guide the Design of Particle Physics Experiments?

In summary: It was published in 1987 and is currently in its third edition. In summary, the speaker is looking for resources that can help them connect their theoretical knowledge of particle physics to experiments, specifically in terms of measurable quantities and experimental design. They have not attended the TASI conference and are seeking suggestions for books or review articles that can provide this information. The listener suggests a book called "Collider Physics" and the speaker thanks them for the suggestion.
maverick280857
Hi,

I've spent an enormous time through coursework and self-reading on learning different things in basic particle physics theory, such as scattering cross-sections, decay rates, etc. I am looking to connect the things I have learned in theory to experiments. This may seem a little vague, but I want to know which quantities are measurable, what the motivation behind designing beams and detectors the way they are, is, based on theory. The theory books dwell too much on theory, whereas experimental treatises tend to be divorced from theory (at least the few I've encountered).

Suggestions are welcome!

I am not sure if this is the right subforum for this query, but since it is more of a pedagogical nature, I thought it would be best to put it here than the hep forum.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you gone to TASI?

Vanadium 50 said:
Have you gone to TASI?

If you mean the conference, I have not attended it. I am not sure what you meant though?

I am looking for books/review articles which could explain me the connections between (say) things in Halzen and Martin/Peskin and Schroeder and the kind of experiments at the LHC. For instance, if I want to study process X, what are the quantities I can measure, and what are the things I have to infer? And when I know that, how do I design the experiment? What kinds of detection schemes are relevant?

Well, it's a summer school, but this is typically where theory grad students are exposed to this sort of thing.

If you're looking for a book, while it's phenomenology is somewhat dated, you might take a look at Collider Physics by Barger and Phillips. If that's not what you are interested in, you might list its shortcomings and we can point you in a better direction.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, it's a summer school, but this is typically where theory grad students are exposed to this sort of thing.

Yeah I saw the website. I couldn't get access to the old course materials, and for the kind of stuff I want to learn/pick up, it might be a bit advanced. I have an engineering background, and now that I am reading theory books, I want to connect the theory to the experiment and get a better physical picture. Hence the question.

If you're looking for a book, while it's phenomenology is somewhat dated, you might take a look at Collider Physics by Barger and Phillips. If that's not what you are interested in, you might list its shortcomings and we can point you in a better direction.

Thanks Vanadium. Are you referring to "Linear Collider Physics in the New Millennium. Publisher: World Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd | ISBN: 9812389083"? I'll check it out. Chances are it won't be outdated for me, because I'm not looking for the "new" and "hot" stuff yet.

No, the title is simply "Collider Physics".

What is experimental particle physics?

Experimental particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the smallest building blocks of matter and their interactions. It involves conducting experiments using high-energy particle accelerators to create and observe subatomic particles.

What is the goal of experimental particle physics?

The goal of experimental particle physics is to understand the fundamental laws of nature by studying the behavior and properties of subatomic particles. This knowledge can then be applied to various fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and material science.

What are some of the key discoveries made in experimental particle physics?

Some of the key discoveries made in experimental particle physics include the existence of quarks, the Higgs boson, and evidence for the existence of dark matter. These discoveries have greatly advanced our understanding of the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe.

How do scientists conduct experiments in particle physics?

Scientists use large, complex machines called particle accelerators to accelerate subatomic particles to near-light speeds. These particles are then collided with each other or with stationary targets to produce new particles, which are then detected and analyzed by specialized detectors.

What are some future developments in experimental particle physics?

Some future developments in experimental particle physics include the construction of larger and more powerful particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, to explore even higher energies and discover new particles. Scientists are also working on developing new technologies for more precise measurements and data analysis.