Random sample of size n (n odd) from Uni(0,1)

• Thread starter thesandbox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, to find the mean and variance of the sample median from a random sample of size n (n=2m+1 odd) from Uni(0,1), you can use the formula for the sample median, which is equivalent to a Beta distribution with a mean of 1/2 and a variance of 1/(12+8m). This can be verified by using the known formulas for the mean and variance of a Beta distribution with parameters (m+1, m+1).
thesandbox

Homework Statement

If you were taking a random sample of size n (n=2m+1 odd) from Uni(0,1)
How do you find the mean and variance of the sample median?

Homework Equations

In order to find the mean and variance of the sample median you need to start with the sample median itself. Using this equation:

ƒxmedian(x) = ƒx(2m+1)(x) = [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*ƒ(x)*[F(x)]m*[1-F(x)]m

Where ƒ(x) is the pdf of the Uni(0,1) ~ Uni(a,b)
ƒ(x) = [itex]\frac{1}{b-a}[/itex] This becomes = 1

Where F(x) is the cdf of the Uni(0,1)
F(x) = [itex]\frac{x-a}{b-a}[/itex] This becomes x

So,
ƒxmedian(x)

= ƒx(2m+1)(x)

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*(1)*xm*(1-x)m

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*xm*(1-x)m

The Attempt at a Solution

Above is part of the attempt.

Now as for the mean and variance of the sample median

Mean
E(x) = x*ƒxmedian(x)*dx

= [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] x*[itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*xm*(1-x)m

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] x*xm*(1-x)m

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] xm+1*(1-x)m

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] x*xm*(1-x)m

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] x*(xm*(1-x)m)

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] x*[x*(1-x)]m

= [itex]\frac{(2m+1)!}{m!m!}[/itex]*[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] x*[(x-x2)]m

-> Continue with integration by parts.

Edit: Above has been corrected

So my question is: Have I done everything above correctly and how would I continue? Is there something I'm missing with this Uniform distribution because that integral doesn't seem to want to simplify.

Variance
Var(x) = E(x2) - [E(x)]2
And similarly for variance will follow.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general method looks correct. I agree with the formula for the PDF of the sample median, except I didn't verify that your coefficient (2m+1)!/[(m!)(m!)] is correct.

Your integral bounds should be from 0 to 1, not 0 to infinity. You can combine the x^m with the (1-x)^m to get (x - x^2)^m. The integral seems straightforward - did you try a substitution, or integration by parts?

Last edited:
I believe you just answered it. I'm fairly confident the pdf for the sample median is correct, however with the new limits and simplification of (x - x^2)^m should make it a little more straight forward. I'll see what happens.

If substitution or integration by parts doesn't work out, you could always expand (x - x^2)^m using the binomial theorem and integrate term by term.

Your formula for [itex]f_{\mbox{median}}(x)[/itex] is just that of a standard Beta distribution, so you can apply known formulas for the mean and variance. Actually, the mean is easy: [itex] x f_{\mbox{median}}(x)[/itex] is just a simple scale factor (depending on m) times another Beta density, and the latter integrates to 1. Getting variance is most easily done using the standard result [itex] \mbox{Var}(X) = E(X^2) - (EX)^2. [/itex]

RGV

Yes that's right, this is a βeta distribution with a mean and variance that can be looked up.

β([itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex])

β(m+1, m+1)

Mean = [itex]\frac{\alpha}{\alpha + \beta}[/itex]

Variance = ([itex]\alpha\beta[/itex])/[([itex]\alpha+\beta[/itex])2*([itex]\alpha+\beta+1[/itex])]

Were the correct answers:

Mean of the sample median: 1/2

Variance of the sample median: 1/(12 + 8m)

Thanks!

Jim

Last edited:

1. What is a random sample?

A random sample is a subset of a population that is chosen in such a way that each member of the population has an equal chance of being included in the sample. This helps to ensure that the sample is representative of the entire population.

2. What is the purpose of taking a random sample?

The purpose of taking a random sample is to make statistical inferences about the population. By studying a smaller subset of the population, we can make generalizations about the entire population with a certain level of confidence.

3. What does "size n (n odd)" mean in the context of a random sample?

In the context of a random sample, "size n (n odd)" means that the sample will contain an odd number of observations. This ensures that the sample has a median value, which is important in certain statistical analyses.

4. What does "Uni(0,1)" refer to in a random sample?

"Uni(0,1)" refers to the probability distribution from which the sample is taken. In this case, it is a uniform distribution between 0 and 1, meaning that each value within this range has an equal chance of being selected for the sample.

5. How is a random sample of size n (n odd) from Uni(0,1) generated?

To generate a random sample of size n (n odd) from Uni(0,1), we use a random number generator to select n values from the uniform distribution between 0 and 1. These values are then used as the observations in the sample.