Local minimum of z=(x^2+y^2)^(1/2)

In summary: You can solve it with analytic geometry, as follows:In summary, To find the local minimum of z=sqrt(x^2+y^2), you can solve it geometrically by looking at the polar coordinates, where z=r, and rotating it around the z-axis to form a cone. This will help you identify the minimum value without using calculus.
hivesaeed4
How do I find the local minimum of z=sqrt(x^2+y^2)
I know its simple, but I'm stuck on it. I've tried using the second derivative but it just goes exponential. Then I tried using the second derivative test but did'nt succeed. And kindly could someone solve it step by step as it makes it much more understandable.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine how a second derivative of a square root can be 'exponential'!

You have [itex]z=(x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex]. The partial derivatives are [itex]z_x= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}(2x)= x(x^2+y^2)^{-1/2}[/itex] and [itex]z_y= y(x^2+y^2)^{-1/2}[/itex]. Those are never 0 so you cannot find max or min that way.

However, you can find max and min "geometrically". In polar coordinates, z= r. In the [itex]r, \theta[/itex] plane that is a line. Rotating around the z-axis gives a cone. It should be easy to see where the minimum value is and that there is no maximum.

hivesaeed4 said:
How do I find the local minimum of z=sqrt(x^2+y^2)
I know its simple, but I'm stuck on it. I've tried using the second derivative but it just goes exponential. Then I tried using the second derivative test but did'nt succeed. And kindly could someone solve it step by step as it makes it much more understandable.

Hey hivesaeed4.

I would consider finding the minimum of z^2 since z is always positive and z^2 preserves the behaviour of the derivative in comparison to how it behaves with z.

This way you won't get any problems with division by zero and you will still get something that reflects the nature of the function.

The local minimum is at the (only) point in the (x,y) plane where the derivatives of the function are not even defined. A function can have a local minimum without even being continuous, let alone differentiable (but your function is continuous).

As posts #2 and #3 said, you don't need calculus to solve this problem.

1. What is a local minimum in a function?

A local minimum is a point on a graph where the function has the lowest value in a specific range or around a specific point. It is lower than all other nearby points but may not be the absolute lowest point on the graph.

2. How do you find the local minimum of z=(x^2+y^2)^(1/2)?

To find the local minimum of this function, we need to take the partial derivatives with respect to x and y and set them equal to 0. Then, we can solve for x and y to find the coordinates of the local minimum point.

3. Can a function have multiple local minimum points?

Yes, a function can have multiple local minimum points. These points can be found by taking the partial derivatives and setting them equal to 0, then solving for the coordinates.

4. How can you determine if a point is a local minimum?

In order for a point to be a local minimum, it must have a lower value than all other nearby points. This can be determined by evaluating the function at the point and comparing it to the values of nearby points.

5. Are local minimum points always the lowest points on a graph?

No, local minimum points are not always the lowest points on a graph. They are only the lowest points within a specific range or around a specific point. The absolute lowest point on a graph is the global minimum point.