Proving the equations of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation v=u+at and its integration to find s=ut+\frac {1}{2} at^2 + C. The constant C represents the initial position of the particle when t = 0 and can be set to zero by choosing the origin of the coordinate system at that point.
misogynisticfeminist
If I got [tex] v=u+at [/tex]

i get, [tex] \int v = \int (u+at) dt [/tex]

which is [tex] s=ut+\frac {1}{2} at^2 + C [/tex]

how do i explain away the integration constant in this derivation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't.It's x(0),the initial position.You can set it to zero,if u want by chosing the origin of the coordinate system in that very point.

Daniel.

misogynisticfeminist said:
If I got [tex] v=u+at [/tex]

i get, [tex] \int v = \int (u+at) dt [/tex]

which is [tex] s=ut+\frac {1}{2} at^2 + C [/tex]

how do i explain away the integration constant in this derivation?

Why do you need to `explain away' the constant of integration. The constant [itex]C[/itex] corresponds to the position of the particle when [itex]t = 0[/itex]. Thus you have
[itex]
\begin{align*}
x & = \frac{1}{2} a_xt^2 + u_xt + x_0 \\
x - x_0 & = \frac{1}{2} a_xt^2 + u_xt \\
s_x & = \frac{1}{2} a_x t^2 + u_xt.
\end{align*}
[/itex]

jdstokes said:
Why do you need to `explain away' the constant of integration. The constant [itex]C[/itex] corresponds to the position of the particle when [itex]t = 0[/itex].

that's the explanation i needed lol, thanks alot...it didn't occur to me then.

1. How do you prove the equations of motion?

The equations of motion can be proven using mathematical principles and formulas, such as Newton's laws of motion and calculus. By using these tools, scientists can analyze the motion of objects and derive equations that accurately describe their behavior.

2. Why is it important to prove the equations of motion?

Proving the equations of motion is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. These equations allow scientists to make accurate calculations and predictions about the motion of objects, which is essential in fields such as engineering and physics.

3. What are the key components of the equations of motion?

The three key components of the equations of motion are displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These variables describe the position, speed, and rate of change of an object's motion, respectively.

4. Can the equations of motion be applied to any object?

Yes, the equations of motion can be applied to any object that is in motion, whether it is a small particle or a large planet. As long as the object is experiencing a change in position over time, these equations can be used to describe its motion.

5. Are there any limitations to the equations of motion?

The equations of motion have limitations in certain situations, such as when dealing with objects that are traveling at speeds close to the speed of light or objects with extremely small sizes, such as atoms. In these cases, more complex equations and theories, such as relativity and quantum mechanics, are needed to accurately describe the motion of these objects.