Using an impulse response and an output to find an input using Z-transform

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses finding the corresponding input x[n] for a given LTI digital system with an impulse response h[n] and output y[n]. The z-transforms of both h[n] and y[n] are calculated and used to determine the input x[n]. The forum member's approach is correct, but there are some small errors in their calculations which can be corrected using the partial fraction decomposition method or the inverse z-transform table.
ztjust

Homework Statement

An LTI digital system with impulse response h[n] = 2(1/4)^n u[n-1] produces an output y[n] = (-3)^n u[n-1]. Determine the corresponding input x[n].

Homework Equations

I believe that Y[z] = X[z]H[z]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started by finding the z-transform of h[n]. Which I think is (0.25z)/(z-0.25)^2.

I then went on the find to the z-transform of y[n]. Which I think is z/(z+3).

So then I divided them and got 4((z-0.25)^2) / (z+3)..

I can't figure out how to take the inverse z-transform to get x[n]. I think my z-transforms might be wrong, or I'm just dividing incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help!

Your approach is correct, but there are a few small errors in your calculations. The z-transform of h[n] is actually (0.5z)/(z-0.25), and the z-transform of y[n] is (z-3)/(z+3). When you divide them, you should get 0.5(z+3)/(z-0.25)^2. To take the inverse z-transform, you can use the partial fraction decomposition method, which involves breaking the z-transform into simpler fractions and then finding the inverse z-transform of each term. Alternatively, you can use the inverse z-transform table to find the corresponding time-domain signal. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is an impulse response in the context of Z-transform?

An impulse response is the output of a system when an impulse signal (a single, infinitely short pulse) is used as the input. It represents the behavior of the system and can be used to determine the system's characteristics.

2. How is an impulse response used to find an input using Z-transform?

By taking the Z-transform of both the impulse response and the output, we can create an equation that relates the two. This equation can then be solved for the input signal, allowing us to find the original input that produced the given output.

3. What is the purpose of using Z-transform in this process?

Z-transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a discrete-time signal into a complex frequency domain representation. This allows us to analyze the system's behavior in the frequency domain and solve for the input using the transformed equation.

4. Can Z-transform be used for any system with an impulse response?

Yes, Z-transform can be used for any linear, time-invariant system with a finite impulse response. It is a useful tool in systems analysis and control engineering.

5. What are some limitations of using an impulse response and output to find an input using Z-transform?

One limitation is that the system must be linear and time-invariant for Z-transform to be applicable. Additionally, if the system has an infinite impulse response, Z-transform cannot be used. It also assumes that the system is stable and that the output is measured accurately.