Measuring distances between a moving object and a stationary object using light

In summary, when measuring distance between objects, you would use the round-trip time of the pulse times c and divide that by two. This is called the 'radar distance'. If you also use Doppler to estimate the speed of the distant object, you can correct your radar measurement to get the distance.
peterspencers
Hi there
When measuring the distance between 2 objects, say, the Earth and a spacecraft traveling very close to the speed of light. If I used a laser and a mirror to bounce a light beam between the 2 objects, I would take the time the light took to return to me, multiplied by the speed of light, to obtain my distance at the time the light pulse bounced back and was received.

If I performed this from both the Earth and the spacecraft , and had synchronised the 2 measuring pulses to be activated at Earth's timeframe (so onboard the craft we use a special clock that can calculate Earth's timeframe by knowing how fast the craft is going) would the pulse released from Earth and the one from the craft give the same distance measurement?

Physics news on Phys.org
peterspencers said:
Hi there
When measuring the distance between 2 objects, say, the Earth and a spacecraft traveling very close to the speed of light. If I used a laser and a mirror to bounce a light beam between the 2 objects, I would take the time the light took to return to me, multiplied by the speed of light, to obtain my distance at the time the light pulse bounced back and was received.
You would use the round-trip time of the pulse times c and divide that by two. This is called the 'radar distance'.

If I performed this from both the Earth and the spacecraft , and had synchronised the 2 measuring pulses to be activated at Earth's timeframe (so onboard the craft we use a special clock that can calculate Earth's timeframe by knowing how fast the craft is going) would the pulse released from Earth and the one from the craft give the same distance measurement?
If you also use Doppler to estimate the speed of the distant object, you can correct your radar measurement to get the distance.
I don't follow.

peterspencers said:
The answer is no. The spaceship will measure a shorter distance. If the pulse were sent simultaneously in the spaceship rest frame then the Earth would measure the shorter distance. It is only if the pulses are sent simultaneously in a reference frame that measures the Earth and spacecraft to equal speeds (but going in opposite directions), that the radar distances would be equal.

I am confused as to how the 2 distance measurements are reverseable, given that the Earth has had no acceleration present and no inertia, Earth has not had its time dilated and therefore its spacetime will be different to that of the spacecraft s regardless of the reference frame. Also, by that logic, if the distances measured are reverseable by switching reference frames, surely the time dilation would be interchangable by switching referance frames, but surely that isn't the case as the returning ship 'will' find that more time has passed on earth? I apologise if this is wildly off key, I am very new to this concept and am trying to reconsile many confusing concepts, please bear with me.

peterspencers said:
I am confused as to how the 2 distance measurements are reverseable, given that the Earth has had no acceleration present and no inertia, Earth has not had its time dilated and therefore its spacetime will be different to that of the spacecraft s regardless of the reference frame.
Given that the Earth orbits around the Sun and the Sun orbits around the Galaxy, what makes you so sure that the Earth has no inertia?
peterspencers said:
Also, by that logic, if the distances measured are reverseable by switching reference frames, surely the time dilation would be interchangable by switching referance frames,
Yes.
peterspencers said:
but surely that isn't the case ..
It is the case.
peterspencers said:
.. as the returning ship 'will' find that more time has passed on earth? I apologise if this is wildly off key, I am very new to this concept and am trying to reconsile many confusing concepts, please bear with me.
Everything changes when the spaceship turns around and returns to Earth. There is no single inertial reference frame where the spaceship is always at rest for the entire journey, but there is one for the Earth, so the situation is no longer symmetrical when the spaceship accelerates mid flight and returns to Earth.

Ok, i think I'm nearly there, thankyou. Surely the spaceship turning round is also a reversable situation? As in the ships reference frame it is the Earth that turns around and returns?

peterspencers said:
Ok, i think I'm nearly there, thankyou. Surely the spaceship turning round is also a reversable situation? As in the ships reference frame it is the Earth that turns around and returns?
The ship is aware that it was the one that turned around because it can feel the acceleration or measure the acceleration with an accelerometer. This breaks the symmetry of the situation. The basic equations of SR assume an inertial reference frame, which is a frame in which no proper acceleration occurs. If the Earth and the rocket send timing signals regularly to each other, the spaceship sees an immediate increase in the frequency of the signals from Earth as it turns around while the Earth does not see an increase in the signal frequency from the rocket until much later. This is more evidence that the situation is non reversible.

YES! I am with you, thankyou so much for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly. I am incredibly grateful, you have helped me immensely :)

peterspencers said:
Hi there

Mentz114 said:
You would use the round-trip time of the pulse times c and divide that by two. This is called the 'radar distance'.

Hi Your explanation here makes perfect sense. I have been trying to understand the Dolby -Gull presentation but have found it difficult

RADAR TIME AND RADAR DISTANCE
Consider an observer traveling on path [itex]\gamma[/itex]
with proper time [itex]\tau[/itex]. Define:
[itex]\tau[/itex]+(x) ≡ (earliest possible) proper time at which a light ray
(technically, a null geodesic) leaving point x could intercept .
[itex]\tau[/itex]-(x) ≡ (latest possible) proper time at which a light ray
(null geodesic) could leave [itex]\gamma[/itex], and still reach point x.

[itex]\tau[/itex](x) ≡ 1/2 ([itex]\tau[/itex]+(x) + [itex]\tau[/itex]-(x)) = ‘radar time’.

p(x) ≡ 1/2 ([itex]\tau[/itex]+(x) - [itex]\tau[/itex]-(x)) = ‘radar distance’.

I don't get their radar distance.
Why is the proper time going to the target subtracted from the return time?
Also I have found no reference to multiplying by c to obtain the distance. What am I missing?
I have searched but have found no, more elementary, treatment of radar time and its implementation.
Thanks

Last edited:

What is the principle behind measuring distances using light?

The principle behind measuring distances using light is based on the speed of light and the time it takes for light to travel from one point to another. By measuring the time it takes for light to travel from a moving object to a stationary object, the distance between them can be calculated.

How is the speed of light used in this method of measurement?

The speed of light is a constant value that is used to calculate the distance between the moving object and the stationary object. By knowing the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, the time it takes for light to travel can be converted into distance.

What factors can affect the accuracy of this method?

The accuracy of measuring distances using light can be affected by several factors. These include atmospheric conditions, the precision of the timing equipment, and the reflectivity of the objects being measured. Any errors in these factors can result in inaccurate measurements.

Can this method be used to measure long distances?

Yes, this method can be used to measure long distances, but it may not be the most accurate method for very large distances. As the distance increases, the potential for errors also increases. Different techniques, such as radar or laser ranging, may be more suitable for longer distances.

Are there any practical applications for this method of measurement?

Yes, measuring distances using light has many practical applications. It is commonly used in technologies such as lidar, which is used for remote sensing and surveying. It is also used in the field of astrophysics to measure the distances between celestial objects. Additionally, it has applications in navigation and robotics.