Tensorial Calculation and antisymmetric tensors

In summary, the paper discusses how the W component of the antisymmetric Levi-Civita tensor is zero, leading to the conclusion that V must be equal to the derivative of the W component with respect to the nu component.
vnikoofard
Hi Friends
I am reading the following paper
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9705122
In the page 4 he says that

[itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu\nu}=0\Rightarrow V_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}\lambda[/itex]

Where [itex]\tilde{W}^{\mu\nu}\equiv\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu \nu\rho\sigma}W_{\rho\sigma}[/itex] and [itex]W_{\mu\nu}\equiv\partial_{[\mu}V_{\nu]} [/itex] and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is antisymmetric Levi-Civita tensor.

The above expression is a general argument and it is not related to the paper. I can not understand how can we drive [itex]V_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}\lambda[/itex] from [itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu\nu}=0 [/itex]
Would someone please explain it for me

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it doesn't say
[tex]
\partial_{\nu} \tilde{W}^{\mu \nu} = 0
[/tex]
?

EDIT:

Oh, sorry, I saw that there is a V and a W, and the W is the anti-symmetrized derivative.

Do you know Stokes' theorem in 4-dimensional space-time?

Last edited:
Yes, I am sure. :( You can check it in the mentioned paper.

Unfortunately I do not know. Is it related to Stokes's theorem?

First of all, there is a one-to-one correspondence between [itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu \nu}[/itex], and [itex]W_{\mu \nu}[/itex]. You just showed how to find [itex]\tilde{W}[/itex] if you know W. But:
[tex]
\epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \pi} \, \tilde{W}_{\rho \pi} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \pi} \, \epsilon_{\rho \pi \sigma \tau} \, W^{\sigma \tau} = -\left(\delta^{\mu}_{\sigma} \, \delta^{\nu}_{\tau} - \delta^{\mu}_{\tau} \, \delta^{\nu}_{\sigma} \right) \, W^{\sigma \tau} = -W^{\mu \nu} + W^{\nu \mu} = -2 \, W^{\mu \nu}
[/tex]
[tex]
W^{\mu \nu} = -\frac{1}{2} \, \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \pi} \, \tilde{W}_{\rho \pi}
[/tex]

Therefore, if you say [itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex], then, so is [itex]W_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex].

Then, you will have:
[tex]
\partial_{\mu} V_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} V_{\mu} = 0
[/tex]

Integrate this over an arbitrary 2-dimensional surface with an element [itex]df^{\mu \nu} = -df^{\nu \mu}[/itex], and convert it to a line integral over the boundary of the surface. You should get:
[tex]
\oint{V_{\mu} \, dx^{\mu}} = 0
[/tex]

Do you know what this means?

Thanks! Now I got it. When [itex]W_{\mu \nu} =0[/itex] means [itex]\partial_\mu V_{\nu} -\partial_{\nu}V_{\mu}=0[/itex]. So for having this expression we must suppose that [itex]V_{\mu} =\partial_\mu\lambda[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a scalar. Because we can change order of derivations [itex]\partial_{\mu}, \partial_{\nu}[/itex]. Is it correct?

Would you please explain more about the integral? It seems interesting.

vnikoofard said:
Thanks! Now I got it. When [itex]W_{\mu \nu} =0[/itex] means [itex]\partial_\mu V_{\nu} -\partial_{\nu}V_{\mu}=0[/itex]. So for having this expression we must suppose that [itex]V_{\mu} =\partial_\mu\lambda[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a scalar. Because we can change order of derivations [itex]\partial_{\mu}, \partial_{\nu}[/itex]. Is it correct?

No, what you are proving is that [itex]W_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex] is a necessary condition for [itex]V_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} \lambda[/itex], which I though is trivial to show (because derivatives commute). But, I was trying to point out that it is also a sufficient condition. Well, locally at least (see Poincare's Lemma).

Dear Dickfore, I am really poor on Topology and such kinds of mathematics. Recently I decided to begin studying this topics. Can you please suggest me some good textbooks for self-study. I am thinking about 3rd edition of Frankle's book: "Geometry of Physics".

i don't know what to recommend, sorry.

Thank you again for your help, my friend!

Frankle is nice, Nakahara is also very good for selfstudy; at least the chapters until Fibre Bundles. After that it becomes a bit wuzzy.

Thanks Haushofer! :)

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the linear relationship between different sets of data. It can be represented as a multi-dimensional array of numbers and is used to model physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and stress in physics and engineering.

2. What is the importance of tensorial calculation?

Tensorial calculation is important because it allows us to analyze and solve complex problems in physics and engineering that involve multiple dimensions and variables. It also provides a more efficient and accurate way to represent and manipulate data compared to traditional methods.

3. What is an antisymmetric tensor?

An antisymmetric tensor is a type of tensor that has certain symmetry properties. It is defined as a tensor whose components are equal to the negative of its own transpose. These tensors are commonly used to describe physical quantities that exhibit rotational or translational symmetry.

4. How are antisymmetric tensors used in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, antisymmetric tensors are used to describe the electromagnetic field. The electromagnetic field tensor, also known as the Faraday tensor, is an antisymmetric tensor that combines the electric and magnetic fields into a single mathematical object. It is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism.

5. Can tensorial calculations be applied to non-linear systems?

Yes, tensorial calculations can be applied to non-linear systems. In fact, they are commonly used in non-linear mechanics, which deals with systems that do not follow a linear relationship between force and displacement. Tensorial calculations allow us to accurately model and analyze these non-linear systems, making them an important tool in many areas of science and engineering.