Amplify Very Weak AC Signal Using Op-Amps

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of op-amps to amplify a weak AC signal with a limited power supply. It is suggested to use a DC blocking capacitor and a voltage divider to adjust the signal to a desired level. There is also a discussion on the frequency response of the op-amp and the use of a lower gain to avoid noise and leakage issues. A specific op-amp (TL062) is recommended for this application.
akhurash
Hello, I'm looking to amplify a very weak AC signal using op-amps. The problem I'm running into is that I can only operate using a +5V supply voltage, no negative voltages. My AC signal is about 5mV and I need it to be about +2.5V. The AC signal is initally DC baised and is at +3.5V, so I put a DC blocking capacitor and used a voltage divider to put the AC signal at a +2.5V virtual ground. When I apply the signal with a gain of 101 (negative feedback, non-inverting amplifer) with op-amps the output AC signal is very weak.

Another problem is that once I put the bias voltage on it the input becomes evn weaker and isn't baised properly.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,277
Engineering news on Phys.org
You also need to place a DC blocking capacitor in series with R18, so as to make the DC gain unity. Otherwise you're trying to amplify the 2.5 volt DC bias by 101 as well! You can see that you're output is saturating at the +DC rail.

A couple of other points.

- You might do better with an opamp that's spec'ed for operating on a relatively low single supply. Eg LT1006

- As it stands your PSRR is close to non existent. You may want to look at refining the bias circuit if this this has to operate in the presence of any type of power supply noise.

Last edited:
Yes you miss a cap in series with R18. That's the main problem.

I can't enlarge the picture enough to read the setting. Another question is what frequency are you trying to amplifier? remember when you have gain of 101, the frequency response of the opamp is reduced by 101! If you are running say 20KHz, a normal 1MHz opamp will not work.

Last edited:
uart: Thank you for the response. It worked!

yungman: The frequency I'm trying to amplify is 20 kHz. I have a question, when you say the frequency response of the opamp is reduced by 101, do you mean for a frequency of 20 kHz I need am opamp that has to handle at least ~ 2 GHz (101 x 20 kHz)?

akhurash said:
uart: Thank you for the response. It worked!

yungman: The frequency I'm trying to amplify is 20 kHz. I have a question, when you say the frequency response of the opamp is reduced by 101, do you mean for a frequency of 20 kHz I need am opamp that has to handle at least ~ 2 GHz (101 x 20 kHz)?

No 101X20000=2.02MHz only. You need to find an opamp that has gain bandwidth product of over 2MHz. That is easy, you just has to be aware of this.

The following is just my opinion:

I usually do not make anyone opamp carry gain of over 20 or 30. First I like to keep the feedback resistor low value below 20K to 30K. This is to avoid noise pickup and leakage current due to board that is not clean. Also this help keep the GBP requirement of an opamp lower. I can find cheaper opamp.

If I do a gain of 100, I'll use a dual opamp, each gain of 10. In this case, GBP requirement is 200KHz, any el-cheapo opamp can do this. I have been working on music electronics where the frequency requirement is in this ball park. Cheap opamp like TL062 will work for you with flying color. It is about 2MHz GBP, at gain of 10, you have plenty of loop gain to keep the circuit very precise. It is dirt cheap, you'll find a single opamp and the dual opamp of the same amp cost almost the same. Keep the feed back resistor at 18K, to get gain of 10, two stages and you are home free.

That's just me.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply yungman, it was very helpful!

1. How do op-amps amplify very weak AC signals?

Op-amps use a feedback loop to amplify a very small input signal to a larger output signal. The feedback loop is created by connecting the output of the op-amp back to its input, which allows the op-amp to continuously adjust its output to match the input. This results in a larger output signal that is a multiple of the input signal.

2. What is the maximum amplification that can be achieved with op-amps?

The maximum amplification that can be achieved with op-amps is determined by their gain bandwidth product. This is the product of the op-amp's gain (the factor by which it amplifies the input signal) and its bandwidth (the range of frequencies it can amplify). Higher gain bandwidth products allow for higher amplification, but it is important to choose an op-amp with a gain bandwidth product that is appropriate for the desired amplification level.

3. How can I ensure the op-amp is amplifying the AC signal and not introducing noise?

To ensure that the op-amp is amplifying the AC signal and not introducing noise, it is important to choose an op-amp with a high signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). This means that the op-amp will amplify the signal without adding significant amounts of noise to the output. Additionally, using proper circuit design techniques, such as minimizing the length of signal traces and shielding sensitive components, can help reduce the introduction of noise.

4. Can I use multiple op-amps in series to further amplify the signal?

Yes, multiple op-amps can be used in series to further amplify a weak AC signal. However, it is important to consider the overall gain bandwidth product of the op-amps used, as well as the potential for introducing noise from each op-amp. It may also be necessary to use filters to remove any unwanted noise or interference from the amplified signal.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using op-amps to amplify weak AC signals?

One potential disadvantage of using op-amps to amplify weak AC signals is the potential for distortion. Op-amps have non-linear characteristics at high amplification levels, which can cause the output signal to deviate from the input signal. This can be minimized by choosing an op-amp with low distortion and using proper circuit design techniques. Additionally, op-amps require a stable power supply for optimal performance, so any fluctuations in the power supply can affect the amplified signal.