Density of states, localized states.

In summary, we can think of electrons in solids as either extended or localized, with delocalized electrons being described by Bloch functions and localized electrons being determined by a short range potential. The extension of delocalized states spreads over many lattice constants, while the extension of localized states is generally on the order of a lattice constant. The energy levels of delocalized impurities are usually shallow, while those of localized impurities can be deep. This topic is complex and requires a lot of research to fully understand.
physiagy
Hi All!

I am doing my Masters project on III-V Nitrides, my question is really a basic one.

What are the localized states and what is meant by localization energy and degree of localization, also that excitons are localized to the tail state?

Could you please give me an answer and guide me to useful references.

Thanks All!

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, we think of electrons in solids as (relatively speaking) extended/delocalized or localized. Electrons in a lattice that can be described by Bloch functions are relatively extended -- that is to say the extension of the wavefunction spreads over many lattice constants (the electron is extended over a relatively large region of real space). Delocalized impurities can be described using the "effective mass" ("hydrogenic") approximation, where we treat the problem of the ionized impurity like a hydrogen atom. This gives us hydrogenic impurity wavefunctions and energy levels. Usually these impurities are shallow (close to either the conduction or valence band edge). Delocalized/extended states are primarily determined by the long range Coulomb interaction.

On the other hand, localized states are determined by a short range (often referred to as the central cell) potential. The extension of these localized states is generally on the order of a lattice constant (i.e., the electrons are localized to a small region of space). Unlike delocalized/extended states, these states are more difficult to describe mathematically, because the short range potential can be tricky to deal with and the wavefunctions can't be described by Bloch functions (Bloch functions require extension in real space and localization in momentum (k) space). Also unlike extended states, localized impurities often (BUT NOT ALWAYS!) have "deep" energy levels (far from the conduction or valence band edges).

Importantly, don't believe when someone says "delocalized = shallow, localized = deep" when it comes to impurities. The important thing to understand is that delocalized/extended states are primarily determined by the long range potential (sometimes treated with a small contribution from the short range potential, known as the "central cell correction"), while localized states are primarily determined by the short range potential (often referred to as the "central cell" potential.

I find this topic incredibly interesting, but I also think it is not well understood (and often misunderstood). I've had to read an incredible amount of material just to get meaningful insight on this topic. I'll see if I can't find some of my old references.

Thank you very much

Dear citw
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, that was really helpful.

What is the density of states?

The density of states refers to the number of energy states per unit volume in a material or system. It is a measure of how many energy levels are available for particles in a given energy range.

How is the density of states calculated?

The density of states can be calculated by dividing the number of states in a given energy range by the total volume or area. In quantum mechanics, it is calculated using the energy spectrum of a system.

What are localized states?

Localized states are energy states that are confined to a specific region or location within a material or system. They have discrete energy levels and are typically associated with defects or impurities in the material.

How do localized states affect the density of states?

Localized states can significantly alter the density of states in a material. They can introduce additional energy levels in specific regions, leading to a higher density of states in those regions compared to the rest of the material.

What are the applications of studying density of states and localized states?

Studying the density of states and localized states can provide valuable insights into the electronic properties of materials, such as their conductivity and optical properties. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of materials in various environments and in the development of new materials for specific applications.