Wanted High density Liquid For suspension of Solids

In summary, Granite has a density of ~2.7g/cm^3, so dissolving >1.7kg of a salt would make the solution more dense than a granite rock.
Coolie88
Hello
I want to suspend, or really have the sinking effect be slow, different kinds of rocks/ gem stones in a jar. So i don't really know where to start. I want something easy to get, clear, not toxic.
I'm going to start with something like corn sryup and see what it looks like. But if anyone has any other ideas i would love to hear them.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a slow sinking effect you need a liquid with high viscosity, not with high density. You can probably find polymer solutions that have a viscosity that varies very strongly with temperature, that way you can "tune" how fast the rock sinks.

A (very) high density liquid would allow your rocks to float. Liquid mercury would probably do the trick, but it is toxic and not exactly clear.

Coolie88 said:
Hello
I want to suspend, or really have the sinking effect be slow, different kinds of rocks/ gem stones in a jar. So i don't really know where to start. I want something easy to get, clear, not toxic.
I'm going to start with something like corn sryup and see what it looks like. But if anyone has any other ideas i would love to hear them.

Corn syrup is a good choice. It is about 100000 times as viscous as water.

Chet

To be fair, a high-density fluid would work, too. It would just be more difficult to find, especially clear in color.

boneh3ad said:
To be fair, a high-density fluid would work, too. It would just be more difficult to find, especially clear in color.

You can try solutions of various salts in water.

The heaviest seems to be zinc chloride, you can dissolve 4.23 kg in a liter of water. It's rather corrosive and toxic however.
You can dissolve 1.89 kg/l of caesium chloride, which doesn't have any health problems.

willem2 said:
You can try solutions of various salts in water.

The heaviest seems to be zinc chloride, you can dissolve 4.23 kg in a liter of water. It's rather corrosive and toxic however.
You can dissolve 1.89 kg/l of caesium chloride, which doesn't have any health problems.

Still, it's nowhere near the density of a rock, so such an object would still sink rather quickly.

Various companies sell heavy liquids for separating minerals by density (google "heavy liquid" to find them). The densities of these liquids range from 2 to 4ish. Many of them are quite expensive. Many are damaging to the environment and require careful handling and proper disposal.

Awesome... Good to know about the difference between high density and viscosity that helps. I don't what the rocks to be floating. I real was trying to get a suspended kind of effect in order to display some specimens in a unique way. You all have been real helpful thank you.
Also here's a follow up question does a liquid's density have a direct effect on its viscosity?

Density affects kinematic viscosity. Dynamic viscosity is another thing.

Ok interesting.. corn syrup offered little resistance. ..

Coolie88 said:
Ok interesting.. corn syrup offered little resistance. ..
Here's another idea. Try Jello. Just wait until it sets some before adding the rocks.

Chet

Granite has a density of ~2.7g/cm^3, so dissolving >1.7kg of a salt would make the solution more dense than a granite rock.
Other minerals may have different density, most seem to be more dense - pyrite is already up at 4.9g/cm^3.

What is a high density liquid?

A high density liquid is a liquid with a high mass per unit volume, meaning it is more dense than other liquids. This can be measured by its specific gravity, which compares the density of the liquid to that of water.

Why is high density liquid used for suspending solids?

High density liquid is often used for suspending solids because its high density allows it to support the weight of the solid particles, preventing them from settling at the bottom of the container. This is especially useful when working with dense or heavy solids.

What are some commonly used high density liquids for suspending solids?

Water is a commonly used high density liquid for suspending solids, as well as oils such as mineral oil and silicone oil. Other options include glycerin, ethylene glycol, and various salt solutions.

How is a high density liquid for suspending solids prepared?

A high density liquid for suspending solids can be prepared by adding a dense material, such as salt or sugar, to the liquid and mixing until the desired density is achieved. Alternatively, a pre-made high density liquid, such as a salt solution, can be purchased.

What are some applications for using high density liquid for suspending solids?

High density liquids for suspending solids are commonly used in various scientific experiments, such as density column demonstrations, as well as in industrial processes, such as drilling fluids for oil and gas extraction. They can also be used in the production of certain products, such as cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.