Legal: Recording conversations

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of recording a conversation in a room, specifically in regards to a workplace situation where a boss has threatened another woman in the office. The conversation explores different options for recording the conversation, including using a pen-mic recorder or a small voice activated recorder. It is suggested that the best course of action may be to bring the information to the company owner rather than trying to press charges.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone know if recording a conversation with someone in a room is illegal? My mother's boss openly threatened another woman in the office (wow these women are evil!) and i was wondering if it would be legal to try to record the conversation and send it to the police? Its obviously not enough to say "hey she threatened me" because it would be 'her word vs her word' so i was wondering if maybe the woman could go up to her again and record the conversation and see if she's threatened and record it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes you can, as long as its not over the phone lines. Remember Watergate?

Too young :D

What would be the best device to record her conversation? I saw this interesting pen-mic recorder for like $250 that's 36db and can "pick up a conversation up to 10' away".

I'd just use a small, voice activated recorder. Might find one for less then 40 bucks, and better ones for 100. And just leave it on the table/desk. Some times things are best hidden in plain sight.

Naa, that won't work. It need sot be something she can bring in with her and leave with. She'd have to be going into her office for the conversation.

Then go with the pen.
Sadly in most states, threating to harm someone is not a crime. It might be enough to get a PPO against them. It would be better to take this information to the company owner.

1. What is the purpose of recording conversations?

Recording conversations can serve different purposes depending on the context. Some common reasons for recording conversations include preserving evidence, keeping a record of important information, or for research or educational purposes.

2. Is it legal to record conversations without consent?

The laws regarding recording conversations without consent vary by state and country. In most cases, it is legal to record a conversation if at least one party gives consent. However, some states require all parties to give consent before recording. It is important to research and understand the laws in your specific jurisdiction.

3. Can I use a recording of a conversation as evidence in court?

Yes, recordings of conversations can be used as evidence in court, but the admissibility of the recording will depend on the laws and regulations in your jurisdiction. In some cases, the recording may need to be authenticated or the parties involved may need to give consent for it to be used as evidence.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule of obtaining consent before recording a conversation?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the consent rule. For example, in some states, it is legal to record a conversation without consent if it is for law enforcement purposes or if the conversation is in a public place. It is important to research and understand the exceptions in your specific jurisdiction.

5. Can I record a conversation without the other person knowing?

In most cases, it is legal to record a conversation without the other person knowing if you are a part of the conversation. However, it is important to research and understand the laws in your jurisdiction, as some states require all parties to be aware of the recording.