Programming TI-83 for Reimann Sums: Y1=\sqrt{1+sin^3}

• Thread starter Echo 6 Sierra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root Ti-83
In summary, to enter the function Y1=√(1+sin^3) into your TI-83 calculator, press the Y= button, move to the first empty function slot, and type in √(1+sin(X)^3). To input upper and lower bounds for a Riemann sum, go to the Y= menu, select the function, and use the WINDOW button to input desired values. To change the number of rectangles, use the WINDOW button to input the desired number in the Nmax setting. To find the exact area under the curve, use the fnInt function with the lower and upper bounds. To estimate the area using Riemann sums, use the sum function with the function, lower
Echo 6 Sierra
I'm trying to program my 83 for Reimann sums and I believe I've got it now but to plug in for Y1=[tex] \sqrt{1+sin^3}[/tex] how do I make the [tex] \sin^3[/tex] part because the parenthesis keep me from getting the ^3. I've tried the MATH button but it won't work that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
You have to enter it like this:
sqrt(1 + (Sin(argument))^3)
Sin^3 is the same as (sin(argument))^3

I understand your frustration with programming the TI-83 for Reimann sums. To input the \sin^3 function, you will need to use the ^ button, which is located above the divide button. To do this, press the ^ button, then type in 3, and then close the parenthesis. This should give you the proper input of \sin^3. Additionally, you may need to use the square root function, which can be found under the MATH button, to properly input the \sqrt function. I hope this helps and good luck with your programming!

1. How do I enter the function Y1=√(1+sin^3) into my TI-83 calculator?

To enter this function, press the Y= button on your calculator. Then, use the arrow keys to move to the first empty function slot, and type in √(1+sin(X)^3) using the X,T,Θ,n button for the variable X. Press ENTER when finished to save the function.

2. How do I input the upper and lower bounds for the Riemann sum on my TI-83 calculator?

To input the upper and lower bounds, first make sure you are in the Y= menu and that your function is selected. Then, press the WINDOW button to access the settings for the graph. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Xmin and Xmax settings and input your desired values. Press GRAPH to view the graph with the given bounds.

3. How do I change the number of rectangles used in the Riemann sum on my TI-83 calculator?

To change the number of rectangles, first make sure you are in the Y= menu and that your function is selected. Then, press the WINDOW button to access the settings for the graph. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Nmax setting and input your desired number of rectangles. Press GRAPH to view the updated Riemann sum.

4. How do I find the exact area under the curve using my TI-83 calculator?

To find the exact area under the curve, you can use the fnInt function on your calculator. First, make sure your function is selected in the Y= menu. Then, press the 2nd button followed by the CALC button. Use the arrow keys to navigate to fnInt( and press ENTER. Input your function, lower bound, and upper bound, separated by commas, and press ENTER. The result will be displayed as the exact area under the curve.

5. How do I use my TI-83 calculator to estimate the area under the curve using Riemann sums?

To estimate the area under the curve using Riemann sums, first make sure your function is selected in the Y= menu. Then, press the 2nd button followed by the CALC button. Use the arrow keys to navigate to sum( and press ENTER. Input your function, lower bound, upper bound, and number of rectangles, separated by commas, then press ENTER. The result will be displayed as the estimated area under the curve using Riemann sums.