Grade 12 physics - one mass on incline and other hanging

In summary, the problem involves two bodies, B and A, with weights of 440 N and 140 N respectively. The coefficients of friction between body B and the incline are 0.56 and 0.25 for static and kinetic friction. The acceleration of the system is 0 when B is initially at rest, and it is calculated by finding the resultant force (which includes tension, gravity, and friction) and dividing it by the total mass of B and A. The solution for part a is 0 if friction is greater than the applied force or gravity. The solutions for parts b and c can be found by using the same method.
an_mui
Body B weighs 440 N and body A weighs 140N. The coefficients of friction between B and the incline are Us = 0.56 and Uk = 0.25.
a) Find the acceleration of the system if B is initially at rest
b) Find the acceleration of the system if B is moving up the incline
c) Find the acceleration of the system if B is moving down the incline.

(diagram: mass B is on the incline, and a is hanging)

For a, my teacher showed us the following solution:
a) mass b (g)(sin theta) ?> mass a (g)
a = ((mass b)(g sin theta) - (mass a)(g) - Ffriction) / (mass B + mass A)
= 0

Could someone explain this solution to me? I think I will be able to figure out parts b and c once i understand part a.

Thanks in advance and sorry I couldn't scan the diagram.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You find the components of each force acting on B in the direction of the plane (tension , gravity ,friction) then use f = ma.

hm.. sorry i tried that and i still couldn't figure out how to do this question

urgent... please help!

First you calculate the resultant force, then you calculate the acceleration.

The resultant force is: m_b*g*sin(theta) - m_a*g +/- friction. I put +/- there because the friction always opposes motion. What don't you understand?

Show your working out please.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the answer to part a is 0...

Thanks I got parts b and c now

The answer to part a will be 0 if friction overcomes the stronger of the applied force and gravity. You haven't given the angle of the incline so I don't know if it does or not. I imagine m_b*g*cos(theta)*Us > m_b*g*sin(theta) - m_a*g, which would mean a = 0.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a mass on an incline?

The acceleration of a mass on an incline is calculated using the following formula: a = gsina, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and α is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving relative to each other when they are at rest. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are already in motion.

3. How does the mass of the object affect its acceleration on an incline?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration on an incline. The acceleration of an object on an incline is solely determined by the angle of the incline and the force of gravity acting on the object.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the force of gravity?

The force of gravity acting on an object is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the force of gravity acting on the object also increases.

5. How do you calculate the tension in a string holding a hanging mass?

The tension in a string holding a hanging mass is equal to the weight of the hanging mass. This can be calculated using the formula: T = mg, where m is the mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity.