Amphibious Bike Propulsion Problem

In summary, the author has created a bike which is amphibious, meaning it can be used to cycle along the road, down the slipway into the water with little to no changeover, and then pedal off through the water. However, he is struggling to find a way to propel the bike in the water, without just using an electric outboard. He has come up with three possible solutions, but he is most interested in hearing any thoughts from the audience. One possible solution is a flipper system, which is shown in the photo but is too slow in the water. Another solution is a paddle wheel, which can't be powered in the water or disconnected when travelling on land. The third solution is to make the rear wheel
Bohring
Hi Guys,

I've made an amphibious bike, shown below. Basically, it's a bike which you can use to cycle along the road, down the slipway into the water with litle/no changeover, and then pedal off through the water.

It all works, and floats, but I'm struggling to find a way to propel it in the water, without just using an electric outboard!

Here are my thoughts so far:
  • Flipper - best solution so far, but it's too slow in the water.
  • Paddle Wheel - can't find a way of powering in the water, or disconnecting power when traveling on land.
  • Making rear wheel a paddle wheel by placing metal sheets inbetween the spokes - can't find a 'safe' way to make the forks wider.
  • Propellor - can't find a way of powering it, or lowering it into the water.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

attachment.php?attachmentid=54356&stc=1&d=1356907403.jpg

Attachments

• blurred.jpg
    blurred.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 632
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Great project!
I have seen a good demo that a screw beats a paddle. Adam Hart Davis, in a TV prog about IK Brunel. Couldn't find it on Youtube, unfortunately.
You could mount a shaft along one rear fork and put a prop (screw) on the end, just behind the wheel. It could be driven from the back tyre, using a roller. You would need a worm drive or equivalent to get through the 90 degrees. The roller could be engaged / disengaged with a lever but it would press, naturally, against the tyre when in operation (useful). You would need to brace the arrangement somehow but, perhaps the whole thing could be actually on the existing float frame, which would be easily strong enough - the only contact with the bike would then be the actual roller. The wheel bearings seem to be just under water so the screw would be almost at the right level if the shaft were tilted down slightly.
Let's have some pics when the system is going - whatever you choose.

I'm liking the idea of a screw system! I'm using a flipper system at the moment, which is shown in the photo, but it's just too slow.

I did try a roller system, but I think you'd need two rollers, as with one, it would spin the wrong way. The main problem though it is works brilliantly on land, but when you go in the water, the wheel gets wet and loses all friction with the roller.

I'm thinking that a chain drive system would be best, as you'd get most power. But I can't think of a safe and easy way of engaging and disengaging the chain system!

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to drive from the chain (a better engineering approach), why not have a sprocket on the other side of the back wheel? I once had a bike with a fixed wheel sprocket on that side so you could use the wheel either way round. To engage / disengage, you could have a dog clutch as part of the right angle drive system. That bit would involve some serious metalwork, though.
Would an electric distribution system be out of the question? They do it in many high powered vehicles. It would solve the angle and control problems - but then there's the water to consider!

I would suggest exploring the use of a water jet propulsion system. This involves using a pump to draw in water and then expel it at high speed through a nozzle, propelling the bike forward. This type of propulsion is commonly used in personal watercrafts and could potentially work for an amphibious bike as well.

Another option to consider is using a hydrofoil system. This involves attaching wings or foils to the bike that lift it out of the water, reducing drag and allowing for faster speeds. This may require some modifications to the design of the bike, but could be a more efficient and effective solution for propulsion in the water.

Additionally, you could look into using a hybrid propulsion system that combines both human power and a small electric motor. This would allow for easier pedaling on land and the electric motor could provide additional power in the water.

It's also important to consider the safety aspect of any propulsion system you choose. Make sure to thoroughly test and prototype your design to ensure it is stable and safe for use in both water and on land. Good luck!

1. What is an amphibious bike propulsion problem?

An amphibious bike propulsion problem refers to the challenge of designing a bike that can efficiently move both on land and in water. This requires the development of a propulsion system that can work in both environments, as well as other design considerations such as buoyancy and stability.

2. Why is developing an amphibious bike propulsion system important?

An amphibious bike could have numerous practical applications, such as aiding in water rescue operations, allowing for easier transportation across bodies of water, and providing a fun and unique mode of transportation. Additionally, solving this problem could also contribute to advancements in other fields such as marine and transportation engineering.

3. What are some of the challenges in creating an effective amphibious bike propulsion system?

One of the main challenges is finding a way to efficiently transfer power from the pedals to the water. This requires overcoming issues such as drag, buoyancy, and potential corrosion. Additionally, the design must also consider how the bike will maintain balance and stability in both environments.

4. Are there any existing solutions to the amphibious bike propulsion problem?

There are some existing solutions, such as attaching a propeller to the bike's rear wheel or using pedal-powered water screws. However, these solutions often have limitations in terms of efficiency and maneuverability. Therefore, there is still a need for further research and development in this area.

5. How can scientists and engineers approach solving the amphibious bike propulsion problem?

Scientists and engineers can approach this problem by conducting research and experiments to better understand the physics and mechanics involved in propelling a bike in water. They can also draw inspiration from nature and existing technologies, such as boat propulsion systems, to develop innovative solutions. Collaboration between experts in different fields, such as fluid dynamics and bicycle design, can also be beneficial in finding a comprehensive solution.