Help Needed: Solving Physics Problem with Zero Understanding

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a physics problem and does not understand how to use the equations provided by their teacher. They are looking for resources, such as a YouTube video, to help them understand the concepts better.
cubejunkies
My teacher gave us this problem before break in a packet and we basically had to teach ourselves how to do problems like this, and unfortunately, I'm no natural at physics and I might only just have the right equation to apply to the problem yet I have absolutely no understanding of how to use the equation to solve the problem, and I don't even know if its the right equation at all. Basically: FAIL x 1000

The problem:

A 2.00 kg block has a specific heat of 115 J/ (kg x K). It falls from rest through a distance of 100.0 meters to the Earth's surface. If half of the potential energy lost by the fallen block when it hits is converted to internal energy of the block, what is the temperature change of the block?

I lied. I actually know of two equations to use, and they are Q = mcΔt and Δke + Δpe + ΔU = Q - W where W is work and U is the change in internal energy (?) But I have zero knowledge of how to use these eqns unfortunately.

If someone could even at least point me to a youtube video that would teach me this stuff, it would be as meaningful to me as a grand unifying theory's discovery would be to physics.

Thanks!
Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
cubejunkies said:
My teacher gave us this problem before break in a packet and we basically had to teach ourselves how to do problems like this, and unfortunately, I'm no natural at physics and I might only just have the right equation to apply to the problem yet I have absolutely no understanding of how to use the equation to solve the problem, and I don't even know if its the right equation at all. Basically: FAIL x 1000

The problem:

A 2.00 kg block has a specific heat of 115 J/ (kg x K). It falls from rest through a distance of 100.0 meters to the Earth's surface. If half of the potential energy lost by the fallen block when it hits is converted to internal energy of the block, what is the temperature change of the block?

I lied. I actually know of two equations to use, and they are Q = mcΔt and Δke + Δpe + ΔU = Q - W where W is work and U is the change in internal energy (?) But I have zero knowledge of how to use these eqns unfortunately.

If someone could even at least point me to a youtube video that would teach me this stuff, it would be as meaningful to me as a grand unifying theory's discovery would be to physics.

Thanks!
Anthony

Your teacher may be trying to get you practice problem solving, rather than blindly plugging into equations.

The words above in red should allow you to come up with your own equation.

The change internal energy of the block will heat up the block, as given by Q = mcΔT.

1. What is the best approach to solving a physics problem if I have zero understanding?

The best approach would be to start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, try to identify any relevant equations or principles that may apply to each part. Next, plug in any given values and solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to consult with a tutor or classmate for guidance.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics to better solve problems?

One way to improve understanding is to actively engage with the material by practicing problems and asking questions. You can also try to make connections between different concepts and apply them to real-world scenarios. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Common mistakes include using the wrong units, not carefully reading the problem, and forgetting to include all relevant forces or variables. It's also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I apply critical thinking skills to solving physics problems?

Critical thinking involves analyzing and evaluating information to form a logical conclusion. In physics, this can involve questioning assumptions, considering alternative solutions, and breaking down complex problems into simpler parts to better understand them.

5. How can I stay motivated when facing difficult physics problems?

One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of the bigger picture - why are you studying physics and what do you hope to achieve? It can also be helpful to take breaks and approach the problem from a different angle. Remember to celebrate small victories and seek support from classmates or a tutor if needed.