How safe are dental materials?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the dentist is using a variety of substances that are presumably safe, but some people may have an allergic reaction. There may be patient information leaflets with the information on these substances, but if the dentist does not have them then the patient may want to look for other options.
Over the past few weeks I've undergone a few operations. I had a root canal, crown lengthening and filling. Throughout these procedures loads of various chemicals and materials were put in my mouth. Many times I think some got swallowed or at least eventually leak into my system. Are these chemicals and materials all non toxic and safe or are they not in large enough quantities to harm me short term?

Biology news on Phys.org
I think they're perfectly safe but some people have a strange allergic reaction and grow buck teeth,big ears and grey fur.

Why not ask the dentist? Are there no patient information leaflets with these substances being used in dentistry? They must've gone through some form of approval process, if not then I would be worried (if I were to have such treatment).

cmb said:
Why not ask the dentist? Are there no patient information leaflets with these substances being used in dentistry? They must've gone through some form of approval process, if not then I would be worried (if I were to have such treatment).

I wonder if they really know. They are taught how to use it, not it's development right? It's just amazing to me how all these chemicals are safe for me, given their interesting applications, when half the time it's down doing my throat.

At the very least, someone in the supply chain has to have Material Safety Data Sheets for these compounds. Having said that, though, I did find this which may be of interest -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endodontic_therapy

There is some mention of the chemicals that may be used in such procedures.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I wonder if they really know.

Who can say, if you don't ask them? If they don't know (which might well be the case, as you say) then just ask for the packaging these things came in and product data sheets with them.

If your dentist is using stuff out of white boxes with no markings on at all and has not bothered to ask what he is using, then do you really want to use this dentist?

I recall that concern is being expressed in some quarters about the use of mercury amalgams.From personal experience I know that these have been in use for at least fifty years.
I assume that legislation now requires that any new materials be tested for safety before their use is allowed and I further assume that there is a very slight risk of side effects with some(possibly all) of them.I guess,however that any risks are minimal one reason being that the amounts of materials used are tiny.
It is probably more unhealthy to eat burger and chips than to have any dental treatment.

It's my understanding the mercury amalgam fillings are being phased out too. My dentist mentioned using some sort of porcelain and dental cement mix as an option.

1. How are dental materials tested for safety?

Dental materials go through a rigorous testing process before they are approved for use. This includes laboratory studies, animal testing, and clinical trials. The materials are tested for biocompatibility, durability, and potential toxicity. Only after passing all safety tests are they deemed safe for use in dentistry.

2. Are dental materials safe for everyone?

While dental materials are generally safe for use, some individuals may have allergies or sensitivities to certain materials. It is important to discuss any known allergies or sensitivities with your dentist before undergoing any dental procedures. Your dentist can then choose materials that are safe for you.

3. Can dental materials have long-term health effects?

Dental materials are designed to be safe for use in the mouth, which is a highly sensitive area. However, long-term studies on the effects of dental materials are still ongoing. So far, there is no evidence to suggest that these materials have any long-term negative health effects. Your dentist can discuss any potential risks with you before using any dental materials.

4. How often are dental materials tested for safety?

Dental materials are continuously monitored and evaluated for safety. Manufacturers are required to provide safety reports and updates on their materials. Additionally, regulatory bodies regularly review and update safety guidelines for dental materials. This ensures that the materials used in dentistry are safe and effective.

5. Are natural dental materials safer than synthetic ones?

Both natural and synthetic dental materials undergo the same rigorous testing process to ensure their safety. Neither type of material has been shown to be inherently safer than the other. The choice between natural and synthetic materials often depends on the specific needs of the patient and the procedure being performed.