How safe are dental materials?

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: dental, materials, safe
Share this thread:
Greg Bernhardt
Mar4-12, 03:20 PM
Admin
P: 9,700
Over the past few weeks I've undergone a few operations. I had a root canal, crown lengthening and filling. Throughout these procedures loads of various chemicals and materials were put in my mouth. Many times I think some got swallowed or at least eventually leak into my system. Are these chemicals and materials all non toxic and safe or are they not in large enough quantities to harm me short term?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
A greater focus on socially disadvantaged women is needed to improve maternity care in England
Phthalates heighten risk for childhood asthma
New study examines the impact of socioeconomic position and maternal morbidity in Australia
Dadface
Mar4-12, 03:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,031
I think they're perfectly safe but some people have a strange allergic reaction and grow buck teeth,big ears and grey fur.
cmb
Mar4-12, 06:17 PM
P: 628
Why not ask the dentist? Are there no patient information leaflets with these substances being used in dentistry? They must've gone through some form of approval process, if not then I would be worried (if I were to have such treatment).

Greg Bernhardt
Mar4-12, 07:53 PM
Admin
P: 9,700
How safe are dental materials?

Quote Quote by cmb View Post
Why not ask the dentist? Are there no patient information leaflets with these substances being used in dentistry? They must've gone through some form of approval process, if not then I would be worried (if I were to have such treatment).
I wonder if they really know. They are taught how to use it, not it's development right? It's just amazing to me how all these chemicals are safe for me, given their interesting applications, when half the time it's down doing my throat.
Mike H
Mar4-12, 11:03 PM
P: 485
At the very least, someone in the supply chain has to have Material Safety Data Sheets for these compounds. Having said that, though, I did find this which may be of interest -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endodontic_therapy

There is some mention of the chemicals that may be used in such procedures.
cmb
Mar5-12, 02:24 AM
P: 628
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
I wonder if they really know.
Who can say, if you don't ask them? If they don't know (which might well be the case, as you say) then just ask for the packaging these things came in and product data sheets with them.

If your dentist is using stuff out of white boxes with no markings on at all and has not bothered to ask what he is using, then do you really want to use this dentist?
Dadface
Mar5-12, 03:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,031
I recall that concern is being expressed in some quarters about the use of mercury amalgams.From personal experience I know that these have been in use for at least fifty years.
I assume that legislation now requires that any new materials be tested for safety before their use is allowed and I further assume that there is a very slight risk of side effects with some(possibly all) of them.I guess,however that any risks are minimal one reason being that the amounts of materials used are tiny.
It is probably more unhealthy to eat burger and chips than to have any dental treatment.
fedaykin
Mar8-12, 10:58 AM
P: 126
It's my understanding the mercury amalgam fillings are being phased out too. My dentist mentioned using some sort of porcelain and dental cement mix as an option.

Register to reply