Register to reply

What position does lonepair of electron takes?

by abi.ayan
Tags: electron, lonepair, position, takes
Share this thread:
abi.ayan
Jul26-13, 07:26 AM
P: 37
In molecules like SCl4 lone pair occupy equitorial position.But, in IF5 lone pair occupy axial position.Why can't the lone pair in SCl4 occupy axial position?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Video: How did life on Earth begin?
Now you can turn your inkjet printer into a chemistry lab and use it to diagnose diabetes
Advanced molecular 'sieves' could be used for carbon capture
DrDu
Jul26-13, 08:30 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,630
IF5 has a pseudo-octahedral geometry. Can you tell me how to distinguish between axial and equatorial positions in an octahedron?
abi.ayan
Jul26-13, 07:19 PM
P: 37
Don't know.I have studied molecular shapes up to octahedral.so excuse me.

DrDu
Jul29-13, 01:39 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,630
What position does lonepair of electron takes?

Five fluoride ligands can't occupy all the six corners of an octahedron, hence the coordination geometry can't be octahedral. But if we take the lone pair into account, it occupies the sixth corner of the octahedron. Therefore we speak of a pseudo-octahedral geometry.
I wanted to say that all the six corners in an octahedron are equivalent, so there is no difference between axial and equatorial.

Register to reply