Optimizing Battery Performance for Increased Power in Automated Wheelchairs

In summary: That would get it up to 25m/s, which is just under 60mph. Why would you need to accelerate a wheelchair up to highway speed?
Agarb
For a physics project, we have to increase power to an automated wheelchair.

This wheelchair has:
Battery Capacity 2x60AH
Battery Needed (x2) GR 24

I know that this means there are 2 batteries at 60 Ampere-hours. I don't know what a GR 24 is.

Also, I don't know how to increase the output from these batteries to give more power. Increase the AH? If anybody had any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciate.

I understand that changing the motor would probably be more beneficial, however, my part of the project is to worry about battery drain.

Engineering news on Phys.org
GR24 means "group 24" and it refers to the size of the battery case (and that it's a deep-cycle battery, which is of course what you need for this application).

The way you increase the amp-hours is to use more or bigger batteries.

Agarb, I see you expect more power.. but for how much time? What is the time period for which you are going to use the battery? Or if you talk about the total charge, Bigger the Better.

PhysicoRaj said:
Agarb, I see you expect more power.. but for how much time? What is the time period for which you are going to use the battery? Or if you talk about the total charge, Bigger the Better.

I need to make the wheelchair accelerate for 5 m/s^2 for 5 seconds. Think of it as a little turbo-boost

Nugatory said:
GR24 means "group 24" and it refers to the size of the battery case (and that it's a deep-cycle battery, which is of course what you need for this application).

The way you increase the amp-hours is to use more or bigger batteries.

So using a GR 27 or GR 31 wouldn't necessarily be a bigger battery, just a bigger case? Or would these be bigger with more amp-hours? Or both?

Agarb said:
So using a GR 27 or GR 31 wouldn't necessarily be a bigger battery, just a bigger case? Or would these be bigger with more amp-hours? Or both?
Amphours determines how many hours you'll be able to sustain travel. It is not an indicator* of the speed capabilty or maximum power. Basically, the only way you can make the wheels turn faster is by supplying more volts to your motor, or by replacing the motor with a bigger one that can consume more amps. Hand-in-hand with this change there will need to be a new electronic controller installed (or the old one substantially modified).

Agarb said:
I understand that changing the motor would probably be more beneficial...
Agarb said:
I need to make the wheelchair accelerate for 5 m/s^2 for 5 seconds. Think of it as a little turbo-boost

What about sticking some extra magnets on the [DC] motor ? ... http://youtu.be/UkKk7qSaKJY?t=45s

Last edited:
For the short period of time your wanting the power changing to much smaller batteries (due to less weight) and going up in voltage is really about the only way it's going to happen. More voltage will give you the watt increase for power and using smaller batteries will solve the weight problem. Most wheel chair motors are in the 350-500 watt range. You can normally double the voltage and get 2X+ more power as long as you don't expect them to last very long. You will need another controller for the higher voltage. The batteries are not the holdup on power here. Even small 12 amp scooter batteries can supply the amps for the time you need. Higher wattage motors or higher voltage is required. Higher voltage is the easiest way to go.

Could build a capacitor bank for 5 second power boost, protect back flow with diode parallel into motor input, reverse polarity protect with cutout relay and put a separate button to engage marked "never press this button".

Agarb said:

That would get it up to 25m/s, which is just under 60mph. Why would you need to accelerate a wheelchair up to highway speed?

1. How can I extend the battery life of my device?

To extend the battery life of your device, there are a few things you can do. First, you can lower the screen brightness and turn off any unnecessary features such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Additionally, closing out of unused apps and limiting background app refresh can also help conserve battery life.

2. Is it better to fully drain my battery before charging?

No, it is not necessary to fully drain your battery before charging. In fact, it is recommended to keep your battery between 40-80% charged for optimal battery health. Modern batteries are designed to be charged frequently, so there is no need to wait for a full drain before charging.

3. Can using a high-speed charger damage my battery?

Using a high-speed charger will not necessarily damage your battery, but it can decrease its overall lifespan. Fast charging generates more heat, which can degrade the battery over time. It is recommended to use a charger that matches the recommended voltage and amperage for your device.

4. How often should I replace my battery?

The lifespan of a battery varies depending on the device and usage, but on average, a battery should last 2-3 years. Factors such as frequent charging, extreme temperatures, and heavy usage can decrease the lifespan of a battery. If you notice a significant decrease in battery performance, it may be time to replace your battery.

5. Is it okay to leave my device plugged in overnight?

Leaving your device plugged in overnight will not necessarily harm your battery, as most modern devices have built-in mechanisms to prevent overcharging. However, it is recommended to avoid leaving your device plugged in for extended periods of time, as it can decrease the battery's overall lifespan.