Electric potential energy and its applications

by Ahmad Syr
Tags: applications, electric, energy, potential
Share this thread:
Ahmad Syr
Aug23-14, 06:26 AM
P: 20
Hi guys
I just want to make sure that my understanding of potential difference is right or wrong I just want someone to tell me whether my understanding is right or wrong.
I know that when we move a charge if it's attracted to another charge it gain potential energy and when we leave it it lose energy as kinetic energy and in a battery the electrons have potential energy and they lose it as they travell from the negative terminal to the positive terminal as kinetic energy and also voltage drop affect their energy right ????????
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
Lockheed Martin advances live, virtual, constructive training in flight test
Lockheed Martin conducts flight tests of aircraft laser turret for DARPA
Ahmad Syr
Aug23-14, 01:19 PM
?????????!???
anuragthoke
Aug23-14, 02:17 PM
P: 3
Hi Ahmad,

Take a case of an electron (-ve charge) moving from a -ve potential to a +ve potential, it will be attracted towards the +ve potential and hence it will gain kinetic energy. On the other hand to move it from a +ve potential to a -ve potential, work has to be done on it as it is a -ve charge.

The KE gained per unit charge in the first case or the work done per unit charge as in the 2nd case in moving a charge from one potential to the other is defined as the Potential difference.

Ahmad Syr
Aug23-14, 02:25 PM
Electric potential energy and its applications

And they may lose energy as heat as they travel through the resistors right ?????
anuragthoke
Aug23-14, 02:43 PM
P: 3
Yes, and that heat energy dissipated per unit charge across the resistor is also equivalent to the work done per unit charge.
Ahmad Syr
Aug23-14, 02:47 PM
Why changing magnetic flux in a coil induce a current can you explain that electronically
NascentOxygen
Aug24-14, 01:38 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,485
Quote Quote by Ahmad Syr View Post
Why changing magnetic flux in a coil induce a current can you explain that electronically
....induces a voltage? That's Faraday's Law of induction.

No, I can't explain the phenomenon, though I am pleased it happens.

Register to reply