Define boundary conditions of a polygon in a unit square cell

by tomallan
Tags: boundary, conditions, define, polygon, unit
Share this thread:
tomallan
Aug24-14, 04:30 AM
P: 20
Hi,

I am wondering as to how to define the boundary condition for a shape in a unit cell. Just imagine that the shape is the hole for the unit cell. Hence, for a constant thickness on the untextured boundary, thickness is, lets say C, then for the circle, it's C+depth.

For example for a unit cell with width 2r1 by 2r1 with a circle inside the unit cell, the boundary condition is:

h(x,y) = C+depth, if x^2+y^2<r^2, and
h(x,y) = C, if x^2+y^2>r^2.

I am wondering how to do this with complicated polygons, like hexagon and stuff or if there is a formula or principle that i dont know of.

Thank you heaps.
Attached Thumbnails
hex.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
jbriggs444
Aug24-14, 04:58 AM
P: 998
Each of the sides of a polygon is definable by a simple linear equation in x and y. The interior of a convex polygon is the intersection of the half-planes defined by the corresponding inequalities.
disregardthat
Aug24-14, 05:50 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,810
For convex polygons, the most economic way would probably be to restrict the boundary conditions to particular angles. For more complex polygons, a piecewise defined curve is probably the best way.

Register to reply