Calculate Distance of 2.75 μC Charge from Origin | Physics

In summary, in order to find the distance from the origin where the 2.75 μC charge attains half the speed it will have at infinity, we must solve for r in the equation v = .5v_\infty, which simplifies to r = 2r_0. This means that the charge will attain half the speed at twice the distance from the origin, or 2(1.2021 m) = 2.4042 m.
FlipStyle1308
A charge of 2.75 μC is held fixed at the origin. A second charge of 2.75 μC is released from rest at the position (1.15 m, 0.350 m). If the mass of the second charge is 1.50 g, and its speed when it moves infinitely far from the origin is 8.6838 m/s, at what distance from the origin does the 2.75 μC charge attain half the speed it will have at infinity?

I calculated the 8.6838 m/s by using PEi = KEf +. kq1q2/r = (mv^2)/2 => v = sqaure root of (2kq1q2/mr). I tried rearranging the equation to solve for r = 2kq1q2/mv^2, and got an answer of 4.8084 m, however, my answer is not correct. I used k = 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2, q1 = 2.75 x 10^-6 C, q2 = 2.75 x 10^-6 C, m = 0.0015 kg, and r (for the first problem) = 1.2021 m (using Pythagorean theorem). Any ideas of where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
FlipStyle1308 said:
A charge of 2.75 μC is held fixed at the origin. A second charge of 2.75 μC is released from rest at the position (1.15 m, 0.350 m). If the mass of the second charge is 1.50 g, and its speed when it moves infinitely far from the origin is 8.6838 m/s, at what distance from the origin does the 2.75 μC charge attain half the speed it will have at infinity?

I calculated the 8.6838 m/s by using PEi = KEf +. kq1q2/r = (mv^2)/2 => v = sqaure root of (2kq1q2/mr). I tried rearranging the equation to solve for r = 2kq1q2/mv^2, and got an answer of 4.8084 m, however, my answer is not correct. I used k = 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2, q1 = 2.75 x 10^-6 C, q2 = 2.75 x 10^-6 C, m = 0.0015 kg, and r (for the first problem) = 1.2021 m (using Pythagorean theorem). Any ideas of where I went wrong?
You have to solve for [itex]v = .5v_\infty[/itex]

Since:

[tex]v = \sqrt{2\Delta (-PE)/m} = \sqrt{\frac{2kq^2}{m}\left(\frac{1}{r_0} - \frac{1}{r}\right)}[/tex]

and

[tex]v_\infty = \sqrt{\frac{2kq^2}{m}\frac{1}{r_0}}[/tex]

the condition [itex]v = .5v_\infty[/itex] is just:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2kq^2}{m}\left(\frac{1}{r_0} - \frac{1}{r}\right)} = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{2kq^2}{m}\frac{1}{r_0}}[/tex]

solve that for r.

AM

PS you will note that you do not have to use k, q, m or calculate that speed at infinite separation.

Last edited:
Okay, I figured it out, thank you!

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating the distance of a 2.75 μC charge from the origin?

The formula for calculating the distance of a 2.75 μC charge from the origin is d = q / (4πε0r2). This formula is derived from Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the value of q in the distance formula for a 2.75 μC charge?

The value of q in the distance formula for a 2.75 μC charge is 2.75 x 10-6 C. This is the charge of the object being measured, and it is measured in coulombs (C).

What is the value of ε0 in the distance formula for a 2.75 μC charge?

The value of ε0 in the distance formula for a 2.75 μC charge is 8.85 x 10-12 C2/N·m2. This is the permittivity of free space, which is a constant in physics used to calculate electric fields and forces.

How do you convert a distance in meters to centimeters?

To convert a distance in meters to centimeters, you can multiply the number of meters by 100. This is because there are 100 centimeters in 1 meter.

What are some other common units of charge besides coulombs?

Other common units of charge include the electron-volt (eV), the statcoulomb (statC), and the abampere (abA). The electron-volt is commonly used in atomic and particle physics, while the statcoulomb and abampere are used in electrostatics and magnetostatics, respectively.