Is the vacuum of space really devoid of 'everything'?

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space Vacuum
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a perfect vacuum and its implications in quantum mechanics. The participants question if a region of space can truly be devoid of both matter and energy, and if this would lead to a state of absolute zero. They also consider the idea of a quantum foam and its presence in all regions of space.
Chaos' lil bro Order
First off, I guess a solid definition of a perfect vacuum is needed. I think it is a region of space in which no Hadrons, Baryons, or Fermions exist. Is this correct?

Secondly, assuming a region of space like this exists, surely this region must be permeated by some form of EM radiation propogating through it, right?

With these two questions in mind, my main question then becomes... Isn't it impossible to have a region of space that is devoid of both elementary particles and photons?

OT - If one subscribes to idea of a quantum foam, does this foam necessarily permeate every cubic inch of space, or could there be regions of space where no foam exists?

Forgive me for the loosely worded questions, I am not conversant enough in QM to articulate them properly. Any suggestions or answers are welcome, ty.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the time - energy uncertainty relationship, one can deduce that indeed, there is no such thing as a vacuum. For this would imply delta E = 0 violating the inequality.

in quantum field theory, which I have not studied so my explanation is not to be considered authoritative, there are virtual particle creation - annihilation processes going on all the time. This is measured experimentally by the Casmir Force. Google this, it's good stuff.

Yes, I like your two points ptabor. That makes good sense to me, ty.

Also, if an area of space could be devoid of both matter and energy, it would reach Absolute Zero, which is (theoretically) impossible; forbidden by QFT, HUP, Thermodynamics, and several other laws.

Interesting points Lurch. You have inspired another question, if a region of space is devoid of matter, won't it already be at 0K since even if there is radiation present, there will be no matter to be thermally agitated?

1. Is the vacuum of space completely empty?

No, the vacuum of space is not completely empty. While it is mostly devoid of matter, there are still particles and energy present, such as cosmic rays and electromagnetic radiation.

2. Can anything survive in the vacuum of space?

Some microorganisms and extremophile organisms have been shown to survive in the harsh conditions of space, but it is not possible for larger organisms to survive without protective gear.

3. Is the vacuum of space cold?

Yes, the vacuum of space is very cold, with an average temperature of about 2.7 Kelvin (-270.45 degrees Celsius). However, objects in space can still retain heat from nearby stars or gases, so the temperature can vary depending on location.

4. Is the vacuum of space completely dark?

No, the vacuum of space is not completely dark. While there is no visible light in space, there is still infrared, ultraviolet, and other types of light present. Additionally, objects in space can reflect light, making them visible.

5. Can sound travel in the vacuum of space?

No, sound cannot travel in the vacuum of space as it requires a medium to propagate, and space is mostly empty. However, electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, can be used to transmit information through space.