What is more strenuous on eyes, reading on a computer screen or text?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of eyestrain and the belief that LCD monitors are less strenuous on human eyes than regular monitors. However, the speaker emphasizes that the solution to preventing eyestrain is not to switch monitors, but to take breaks and change focal distances. The speaker also mentions the possibility of weak eye muscles and the help of an optometrist. The conversation ends with a random question about the relationship between PF mentors and moderators.
pakmingki
Which is more strenuous on human eyes? Because i do plenty a lot of both of them. If i learn that one is less strenuous than the other, i wil probably start spending more time doing that instead.
Btw, i have an LCD monitor, which I've heard is better than a regular monitor, but it kind of just sounds like a myth to me.

Biology news on Phys.org
You can get eyestrain either way. Older monitors were worse than newer ones, but reading for long periods of time is also bad for causing eyestrain. The solution to the problem isn't switching from one to the other, but instead to give your eyes breaks to rest and change focal distances. There are muscles that help focus your eyes, so if you're holding them in one place for a long time, they get tired (think about how your arm gets tired if you hold it out a long time...it's not a hard thing to hold out your arm, but holding it there a long time is). Close your eyes, focus on a distant wall, or some other things in the room at different distances, and then return to reading. You'll notice quickly that your eyes don't get tired so fast if you do that.

If you have especially weak eye muscles for some reason, an optometrist can help teach you further eye exercises.

thanks, that's some good info.
Btw, random question. Are the pf mentors the mods?

pakmingki said:
Btw, random question. Are the pf mentors the mods?
Yes, we are the moderators.

Evo said:
Yes, we are the moderators.
We are the mods
We are the mods
We are
We are
We are the mods

(Quadrophenia reference)

1. What causes more strain on the eyes, reading on a computer screen or text?

The main cause of eye strain when reading on a computer screen is the blue light emitted from the screen. This type of light can cause discomfort and fatigue to the eyes, leading to strain. However, reading printed text can also cause strain if the text is too small or the lighting is poor.

2. Is it true that reading on a computer screen is worse for the eyes than reading printed text?

It is not necessarily true that reading on a computer screen is worse for the eyes than reading printed text. Both activities can cause eye strain if proper measures are not taken, such as proper lighting and taking breaks to rest the eyes.

3. How can I reduce eye strain when reading on a computer screen?

To reduce eye strain when reading on a computer screen, you can adjust the display settings to reduce the amount of blue light emitted. You can also take frequent breaks to look away from the screen and focus on objects at a distance. Additionally, make sure your screen is at a comfortable distance and angle for your eyes.

4. Is there a difference in eye strain between reading on a computer screen and a mobile device?

Reading on a mobile device can also cause eye strain due to the small screen size and the need to hold the device closer to your face. However, mobile devices typically have built-in features such as night mode or blue light filters that can help reduce eye strain.

5. Can prolonged screen time lead to permanent damage to the eyes?

While prolonged screen time can cause temporary discomfort and strain on the eyes, there is no evidence to suggest that it can lead to permanent damage. However, it is important to practice good habits and take breaks to rest the eyes to avoid long-term strain on the eyes.