Euclid's Window: A Journey Through the History of Geometry and Physics

In summary: The book is not meant for experts, it is for people wanting to get a better understanding of what is going on in modern mathematics and theoretical physics. Still, I think it is a great read for anyone with an interest in the subject matter.
Mentat
Euclid's Window, by Leonard Mlodinow, is the best layman text, that touches on the deepest issues of modern mathematics and theoretical physics, that I've ever read.

Through use of excellent analogies and some humor, Mlodinow takes the reader through the history of geometry (from the ancient Egyptians and Pythagoras, to Euclid and his Elements, to Descartes and the first graphs, to Gauss and the non-Euclidean revolution, up to Einstein's Relativity and then beyond it, to the Superstring Theory and its potential as the theory of everything). Oh, and, by the way, he almost never uses an equation.

You don't want to miss this book, whether you are a total layman who needs to take his shoes off to count more than twenty, or a PhD in mathematics, it is well worth your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Mentat, sounds like something I'd enjoy!

I only skimmed the book too many months ago . . .

. . . I'd recommend Morris Kline's "Mathematics: The End of Certainty."

Or even E.T. Bell's "The Development of Mathematics."

Still, it is exciting to find a place with over seven thousand members, and probably at least 95% of them are either real science/engineering guys or have read books like "Euclids Window." I wish I had the time to read every such book(believe me, there are lots of those books), but I think I've read a pretty good group of them and now need to get through some much more technical such books.

Mentat said:
You don't want to miss this book, whether you are a total layman who needs to take his shoes off to count more than twenty, or a PhD in mathematics, it is well worth your time.

Suppose you fall into more than one category... :biggrin:

Dimitri Terryn said:
Suppose you fall into more than one category... :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

Euclid's Window is a fun read, I think it has one of the best expositions of Witten's work among popular science books.

1. What is the main focus of "Euclid's Window"?

The main focus of "Euclid's Window" is to explore the interconnectedness between geometry and physics throughout history. It delves into the evolution of these two fields and how they have influenced each other.

2. Who is the author of "Euclid's Window"?

The author of "Euclid's Window" is Leonard Mlodinow, a theoretical physicist and writer. He has also co-authored books with Stephen Hawking and contributed to the television series "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

3. Why is Euclid considered to be the "father of geometry"?

Euclid is considered the "father of geometry" because he wrote "Elements," a book that is still considered the foundation of geometry today. It contains 13 books, covering topics such as plane geometry, number theory, and solid geometry.

4. How does "Euclid's Window" connect geometry and physics?

"Euclid's Window" connects geometry and physics by tracing the history of each field and highlighting how they have influenced and informed each other. It also explores the mathematical concepts and principles that are shared between the two disciplines.

5. Is "Euclid's Window" accessible for non-scientists?

Yes, "Euclid's Window" is written in a way that is accessible for non-scientists. It uses clear and engaging language to explain complex concepts and does not assume prior knowledge of geometry or physics. It is a great read for anyone interested in the history of science.