Creating Redox Table: Identifying Oxidizing/Reducing Agents

In summary, the textbook explanation for these equations is not very clear, so the student is struggling to find an answer. Half-reactions were created to help organize the equations. Redox tables can be found online or in a text book.
Alain12345
I'm working on a chemistry assignment that involves creating redox tables. The explanation in the textbook isn't a very good one and I can't find my answer through google either :mad:

Here's the problem:

The following equations represent spontaneous reactions. From this evidence, set up a table of relative strengths of oxidizing and reducing agents. Write half-reaction equations and label the strongest oxidizing agent and reducing agent.

Co(s) + Pd2+(aq) --->spont. Co2+(aq) + Pd(s)

Pd(s) + Pt2+ (aq) --->spont. Pd2+(aq) + Pt(s)

Mg(s) + Co2+(aq) ---> spont. Mg2+(aq) + Co(s)

I know how to make the half reactions and how to identify the oxidizing agent and reducing agent in each reaction, but I'm confused about what to do after that. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to arrange each half reaction into REDUCTION half reactions.
Look then at your first reaction between Co and Pd. Palladium wants to be reduced more than does Cobalt.

Start making a list putting the items that want to be reduced in decreasing "want to be reduced". For the first equation and its half reactions, you would show:

Pd(+2) + 2 e ---> Pd
Co(+2) + 2 e ---> Co

Next, write the half reactions for Pd (which you already did) and of Pt. Now, how does Pt compare in relation to the first two reductions that you wrote for Pd and Co?

Continue this process.

One more thing: Did anyone tell you NOT to check in a table of reduction potentials? When you are done, you should compare your results with the positions of the half reactions in the table of reduction potentials.

As of the above, it's been a long time since I last saw that stuff, so someone may need to check what I said more carefully.

I am hoping someone can check the explanation above =).. please and thank you!~

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of creating a redox table?

The purpose of creating a redox table is to organize and classify different substances based on their ability to either gain or lose electrons. This information is useful in understanding and predicting chemical reactions, as well as identifying oxidizing and reducing agents.

2. How is the redox table organized?

The redox table is organized in two columns, with substances that readily lose electrons (oxidizing agents) on the left and substances that readily gain electrons (reducing agents) on the right. The substances are listed in order of increasing strength as oxidizing or reducing agents, with the strongest at the top of each column.

3. What is the difference between an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent?

An oxidizing agent is a substance that causes another substance to lose electrons, while a reducing agent is a substance that causes another substance to gain electrons. Oxidizing agents themselves are reduced (gain electrons) in the process, while reducing agents themselves are oxidized (lose electrons).

4. How do you identify oxidizing and reducing agents using the redox table?

To identify an oxidizing agent, look for a substance that is higher on the left column than the substance it is reacting with. To identify a reducing agent, look for a substance that is higher on the right column than the substance it is reacting with. The substance that is higher on the table is the stronger oxidizing or reducing agent.

5. Can the redox table be used to predict the products of a chemical reaction?

Yes, the redox table can be used to predict the products of a chemical reaction. If the reactants include an oxidizing agent and a reducing agent, the oxidizing agent will react with the reducing agent to form products. The product will depend on the strength of the oxidizing and reducing agents, as well as the other reactants and reaction conditions.