Proving Definite Integral Using Substitution | Solving Math Problem

In summary, the question is asking to prove by substitution that the definite integral of 1/t from x to x*y is equal to the definite integral of 1/t from 1 to y. The individual is having trouble using a substitution method and is seeking guidance from the forum. They have attempted various substitutions but have not been successful, and someone suggests trying the substitution u=t/x. The individual expresses gratitude for the help and mentions that they have learned more from these two questions than the previous easier ones.
chewy

Homework Statement

prove by substitution that definite integral int (1/t)dt from [x to x*y] = int (1/t)dt from [1 to y].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i can do this problem if i integrate and use the log laws, no probs, but the question says to use a substitution, I've tried many but to no avail, a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I've asked yesterday about a similar question, which thanks to the forums help i understand. this is the last one on the section and then ill be confident that i can put it rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the obvious, u=t/x.

thks very much, I've learned more of these two questions, than the previous easier 30.

What is substitution in science?

Substitution in science refers to the replacement of one element or compound with another in a chemical reaction or equation. It is also used to describe the replacement of one variable with another in a mathematical equation.

Why is substitution important in scientific experiments?

Substitution is important in scientific experiments because it allows researchers to manipulate and control variables in order to study their effects on the outcome of the experiment. This helps to ensure accurate and reliable results.

What are the different types of substitution in science?

There are two main types of substitution in science: chemical substitution and mathematical substitution. Chemical substitution involves replacing one element or compound with another in a chemical reaction, while mathematical substitution involves replacing one variable with another in a mathematical equation.

How does substitution affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

Substitution can affect the rate of a chemical reaction by changing the reactants involved, which in turn can alter the energy required for the reaction to occur. Additionally, different elements or compounds may have different reaction rates, leading to variations in the overall rate of the reaction.

What are some real-life applications of substitution in science?

Substitution has many real-life applications in science, such as in the production of new medicines, the development of new materials, and the study of chemical reactions. It is also used in fields such as environmental science, where it can help determine the impact of different variables on natural systems.