How can I find the equation of the inverse function of a cubic function?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the equation of the inverse function of a cubic function, specifically f(x) = x^3 + 6x^2 + 12x + 7. The person working on the problem has already graphed the function and its inverse, found the inflection point and the three roots, and is now stuck on how to proceed. Suggestions have been made to use Cardano's formula, Galois theory, or completing the cube, but ultimately it is noted that cubics often do not have nice, closed form inverses. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help and stating that they will continue working on their paper.
agentnan
I am working on a paper to find the equation of the inverse function of a cubic function. The function is

f(x) = x^3 + 6x^2 +12x +7

I have already graphed the function and its inverse. I have found the inflection point of (-2, -1). I found the 3 roots (1 real & 2 complex). The real root is x=-1, so I am left with:

(x+1)(x^2 + 5x + 7)

which leads to the complex roots of:

(5+i(3)^.5)/2 and (5 - i(3)^.5)/2

At this point though I am totally stuck. I know that I am supposed to switch the placement of the x & y variables, but I can't figure out what the next step should be. So I now have:

x = y^3 + 6y^2 +12y +7,​

but I have no idea what to do with it! I know from above that it can be rewritten as:

x = (y+1)(y^2 + 5y + 7).​

How do I get the y variable all by itself though? Looking for some direction on what I should do at this point to come up with the equation of the inverse.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Nan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can Google for Cardano's formula... but why do you want an explicit inverse?

The Cardano's formula will give me the values for x which I already have. I am not sure how that formula will help me get an explicit inverse other than giving me the values for x.

The person who assigned this paper asked us to "find the inverse function of the given function",. He also stated "the purpose of theis research assignment is to test your ability to apply the concept of an inverse function and other algebraic concepts to a problem."

So I am assuming that he wants an actual equation of the inverse. We tried to ask for further details, but we were told that it was a research paper and he would not give us any help on it. Perhaps I am misreading what he is requesting? If you have any thoughts on what he may actually be asking for, it would be terrific! As mentioned, I have already graphed it, found the inflection point & the 3 roots.
Thanks again!
Nan

Last edited:
Well, there's always Galois theory, perhaps that could give some insight.

I will take a look at it in a few minutes, but I should have mentioned this is for an intermediate Algebra class, not a high level course. Thanks for the suggestion!

Okay...I took a quick peek at the Galois Theory...but it appears to be way beyond the Algebra 2 level. Any other thoughts on this problem?

agentnan said:
I am working on a paper to find the equation of the inverse function of a cubic function. The function is

f(x) = x^3 + 6x^2 +12x +7

I have already graphed the function and its inverse. I have found the inflection point of (-2, -1). I found the 3 roots (1 real & 2 complex). The real root is x=-1, so I am left with:

(x+1)(x^2 + 5x + 7)

which leads to the complex roots of:

(5+i(3)^.5)/2 and (5 - i(3)^.5)/2

At this point though I am totally stuck. I know that I am supposed to switch the placement of the x & y variables, but I can't figure out what the next step should be. So I now have:

x = y^3 + 6y^2 +12y +7,​

but I have no idea what to do with it! I know from above that it can be rewritten as:

x = (y+1)(y^2 + 5y + 7).​

How do I get the y variable all by itself though? Looking for some direction on what I should do at this point to come up with the equation of the inverse.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Nan

Generally speaking, cubics often do NOT have nice, closed form inverses. You are trying to find [tex]f^{-1}(x)[/tex] as a nice formula in terms of x, however this form implicitly assumes that [tex]f^{-1}(x)[/tex] is a function. Generally, it is not. Here's how to see this geometrically.

If you have the graph of a function f, you can easily obtain the graph of the "inverse" of by reflecting the graph of f across the line y=x. Draw a general cubic, and reflect its graph across y=x. You can find a cubic so that its inverse graph does not satisfy the vertical line test.

If you have

[tex]x = y^3 + 6y^2 +12y +7[/tex]

then write

[tex]y^3 + 6y^2 +12y + (7-x) = 0[/tex]

and solve using Cardano's method.

Or you could try "completing the cube", as an analogy to completing the square? If I am not mistaken, this should yield a nice algebraic expression without too much computation?

"Completing the cube" doesn't work, unfortunately. For a quadratic, all you have to do to complete the square is add a constant. But a cubic has too many variables to do that. Try it.

But wait! This particular cubic can be completed by adding a constant! Well, then.

To the OP: Remember that

[tex](a+b)^3 = a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3[/tex]

Now, write

[tex]y^3 + 6y^2 + 12y = x - 7[/tex]

and see what you can do.

In general yes, but x^3 + 6x^2 + 12x + 7 = (x+2)^3-1. So one would think that the coefficients 6 and 12 were not chosen arbitrarily?

Last edited:
Thank you ALL so much...you have definitely sent me in the correct direction particularly Big-T and Ben Niehoff! I will finish my paper right now! Thanks again...Nan

Last edited:

What is the inverse of a cubic function?

The inverse of a cubic function is another function that reverses the output of the original cubic function. It essentially swaps the input and output values.

How do you find the inverse of a cubic function?

To find the inverse of a cubic function, you can follow these steps:1. Replace f(x) with y in the original function.2. Switch the x and y variables.3. Solve for y.4. Replace y with f-1(x) to get the inverse function.

Is the inverse of a cubic function always a function?

Yes, the inverse of a cubic function is always a function. This is because a cubic function is a one-to-one function, meaning each input has a unique output. The inverse of a one-to-one function is also a one-to-one function.

What is the domain and range of the inverse of a cubic function?

The domain of the inverse of a cubic function is the range of the original cubic function, and the range of the inverse is the domain of the original function. This is because the input and output values of the inverse function are swapped from the original function.

How can the inverse of a cubic function be used in real life?

The inverse of a cubic function can be used to solve problems involving volume and surface area, such as finding the dimensions of a box with a given volume. It can also be used in physics and engineering to model the relationship between two variables that have a cubic function. Additionally, it can be used to analyze data and make predictions in fields such as economics and finance.